Chapter 1

Writers note: Hi! This is my first ever story so please feel free to give me notes and tips. I would really appreciate the constructive criticism! Enjoy!

I woke as the light began to peak through the curtains around my window. I winced as it burned my eyes. I stretched and moved around my bed, not yet ready to get up. After several minutes passed, I realised I was hungry.

I pulled myself up to a sitting position and placed my feet on the cold stone floor. I stood up, wobbling a little bit as I was not yet fully awake. I then reached the door and and stepped out of my bedroom.

As I walked down the large stone steps, I observed the paintings and sculptures that were hung up on the walls. Each one as familiar as the next.

When I reached the dining room, I found it empty. All apart from my seat at the table which had been made up for breakfast. Each plate delicately placed. Bowls of fruit and plates full of beautifully made pastries and sandwiches. I noticed a small white envelope had been placed on my plate and my name was written in beautiful cursive letters on the front. I opened it and pulled out the card inside which read:

You have been invited to the ball at the Palace of Katenia! Please be willing to make yourself present at the hour of 9 on the eve of tonight!

I stared at the letters on the page and anger began to flow through my veins. You see, my father only ever held balls for one purpose.

I marched out of the dining room and through the corridors of the palace, my blood boiling as I do so. I reach my fathers study and swing open the heavy wooden double doors to find my father staring up at me in shock from behind his desk. His grey hair makes him looks older, more tired, and his green eyes prove our resemblance.

He opens his mouth but I am determined to have the first word.

'Who will you attempt to marry me off to this time?' I question.

He does not look surprised by the question yet his voice shows he is trying to sound like he is.

'I have no idea what you are talking about Abigail.' He tells me.

I feel frustrated by his lies but I know he will give in eventually. He always does.

'Yes you do. Tell me!' I insist and I can see him hesitating but he knows there is no point fighting. He too knows he cannot resist but tell me the truth.

'Prince Jonathan of Scandalenia. The kingdom of Scandelania is disrupted as the kingdom believe their prince is becoming too old to find a wife. So you will marry him.' He tells me.

He turns back to his papers as if I was not there although I am sure he can hear how hard and loud my heart is beating.