𝐈.

𝟏𝟗𝟐𝟒, 𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

♚ ♔ ♚

𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙀 𝙄𝙏 𝙄𝙎, that smell in the air. "Would it be absolutely absurd to say that it's comforting?" Leonie thought. Of course anyone would prefer the fresh scent of blooming spring flowers at the château, but no smell could've been better to her in that moment. It brought the memories back. It brought back him.

The loud neighing of a horse startled Leonie out of her thoughts. It was such a peaceful ride into Small Heath. She was quite anxious on the journey back, but the minute she realized she was home, all the nerves calmed.

"Leonie Dupont? It can't be."
"Thomas... oh mon Dieu!"

"Why didn't you write to me about your return?" Tommy Shelby asked, whilst continuing on his horse next to the car.

"I guess I wanted it to be a surprise," she replied, taking note of Tommy's clothes. She almost forgot how anal he was about his clothing.

"Since when do you like surprises?" he smirked.

"France has changed me I suppose". She had a glimmer in her eyes. The same glimmer that she had as a child, excitement and curiosity.

"So the fancy French girls are all about going with the flow?" he said sarcastically. Leonie returned a smile lightly.

"I assume you're heading to your mother's. Does she know you've come home?"

"Well yes, I briefly mentioned it to her. You see, she was quite fond of the idea of me staying with my grandparents. As you know, the last thing I wanted to do is loose my home right after loosing my father, so I honestly loathed her for it. But now I realize, she just wanted the best for me, and I suppose she thought that she couldn't give it to me", Leonie said somberly, thinking about the fight her and her mother had over five years ago.

"I'm sure she'll be pleased to see you enough" Tommy added in a hopeful manner.

"I hope. I appreciate you watching out for them, truly." She knew Tommy was ruthless, but when it came to protecting those he cared about, Tommy was indeed ruthless.

"I'm sure you know about Olivier and Louis..." Tommy said hesitantly. He was worried she would be upset about her brothers' change of path. Joining the Peaky Blinders was not for the faint of heart. Was he really protecting the Duponts, or putting them in danger.

"We've all changed, that's for sure. We've had to." she justified.

Leonie's car approached her old house, with Tommy following by horse right next to her.

"Right, do you need any help with your luggage?" Tommy asked. He knew she would say no, but might as well ask. Leonie Dupont was not one to ask for help.

"I think my driver's got it, but thanks." She smiled gladly.

"Perhaps you'd like to come over to the Garrison later to see everyone. Of course, I'd understand if you were tired from travelling..." Tommy suggested.

"Well yes I am quite famished. Perhaps we could do that tomorrow?" she asked. She was truly exhausted, the journey from France to England was no easy feat.

"Of course. Have a good rest of your evening Leonie." He had missed her, that much was true. She has grown so much, he almost hadn't recognized her. He had only known her to be the little girl who ran around, getting into trouble of course, with little Finn.

"Goodbye Tommy!" she called out as she set foot onto the ground she used to play on as a child. She watched Tommy ride away on his horse. He hadn't changed much. Friendly enough, but outwardly terrifying to those who didn't know him. Of course, Tommy had known Leonie since she was little, so that certainly led to a bond between them. One of an older brother and little sister.

Although, things have changed. Leonie was no longer a little girl, and Thomas Shelby had grown more and more ruthless. This was in many ways a different town than the one Leonie left, and she would have to get used to it.