Fourth of July Special (side story)

(Derrick Pov) I sigh to myself as I arrive back to my apartment. I didn't want to leave Issy alone today but they needed me at work. Being CEO can have it's downs sometimes including working on a holiday.

It was already beginning to get dark being 8:30 already some fireworks were already starting to go off. I had decided to stop and grab a few fireworks and sparklers on my way home, not to many but enough for my baby girl to see.

I grab the bag and make my way up to the penthouse. Smiling to myself as I think of watching fireworks with my kitten. I get my keys out of my pocket unlocking the door.

"Issy I'm home" I say still smiling I shut the door behind me listening for the patter of issys feet as she usually greets me right away when I get home. I notice all the lights are on in the house and a few objects have been knocked onto the floor. Seeing this I Begin to get concerned afraid Isa hurt herself.

I drop the bag on the ground and begins looking for her. "Issy" I call out trying to stay calm and collected not wanting to freak out just yet. I hear the booms of the fireworks going off outside as I search. I walk towards issys room where I hear a slight gasp and muffled crying.

I rush into the room "Issy what's wrong baby girl" I ask worried looking for her. I see her tail sticking out from under her bed the sound of crying can be heard clearly now. I kneel down on the ground looking under the bed.

I see Issy with her eyes closed and her hands covering her ears. Tears streaming down her face. I realize the fireworks are scaring her and do my best to calm her down. "Hey kitten, come here I'm home now you're safe I promise"

She opens her eyes looking at me through the tears. I've never seen her move so fast before as she quickly comes out from under the bed and into my arms. I hold her tightly as she buries her head into my shirt.

"Shhh baby girl it's okay daddies got you. There is nothing to be scared of I have you." I say to her calmly kissing her forehead. I notice a wet spot on her pj bottoms she must of had an accident from being so scared my poor kitten

"Come on kitten let's get you cleaned up" I say gently picking her up in my arms I bring her to the bathroom gently undressing her and cleaning her up. I get a diaper from her room and a nightgown and get her dressed.

The fireworks continue to go off outside making her jump each time. I finish dressing her scooping her back into my arms. I bring her to my room setting her on my bed. Kissing her forehead I wipe her tears away. "It's okay baby I have just the thing to help"

I search through my closest as Isa watches me still sniffling and jumping at the sounds. "Ah here it is" I smile pulling out a pair of noise cancelling headphones. "Here kitten these will help block out the noise. I smile down at her placing them on her ears. I watch as she slowly calms down.

I pick her back up bringing her to the living room as she clings to my shirt calmer now with the headphones on. I set her down for just one moment pulling a chair close to the window. I sit down setting her in my lap pulling the curtains open so she can see the fireworks.

"Look baby" I point to the flashing lights in the sky "see it's not scary" I hold her close as she looks up at the sky her face filled with aw the headphones blocking out the loud booms. She curls up in my arms as we watch the fireworks together.