XXVII

"I am afraid Mr. Corden has slipped into permanent coma since the majority of the injuries were focused on his reticular activating system. We don't exactly know when he will wake up; he may wake up tomorrow or years later, we can't certainly say." The doctor informs Louis, Liam and Niall after spending twelve hours in the O.T. with James. After the strident crash, Niall drove himself, Louis and an injured James to the hospital since louis was too shocked to even form sentences. Liam arrived moments later in case of any legal matters while Zayn volunteered to stay back with Harry. Louis is grateful Zayn proposed the idea as he wasn't quite pleased with the knowledge of leaving Harry alone under the surveillance of his gang members.

While Liam is handling all the investigative queries, Niall and Louis recall the incident in a more aware state of mind. The odd hour, the head wounds that couldn't have been caused by just the crash and the ruby silk scarf sprayed with an enchanting scent of Tahitian vanilla along with a hint of rosa centafolis- Clive Christen no. 1 Imperial Majesty, an exquisite perfume and definitely heavy on the wallet. He knows the scent like an old mate, the plush perfume reeking of power and wealth, and the all too familiar ruby scarf fitting together to form the perfect evidence. The person who plotted the act wanted to be found, to be held responsible for the deed and Louis knows exactly who.

"I'll be back," Louis stands up with a firm mind and grabs Niall's car keys. The Irishman nods in acknowledgement, vaguely knowing who is behind the exploit. Louis exits the private waiting area and steals a quick glance of a resting James before he speeds Niall's car out of the underground parking, leaving a trail of vanishing smoke and tire scratches.

They may not talk all the time but James was- is one of Louis' oldest acquaintance and a dear one. He taught Louis, Liam and Zayn etiquettes of the underworld; things they should and should not do in order make an impact and hold power. He is like a godfather to the trio, a person they can turn to when the entire world seems to be at war with them.

*

Louis doesn't stop the unforgiving speed until his eyes catch the sight of a handsomely large gate, ancient mythological sculptures guarding its glory. He waits for a moment until the heavy gates breaks apart and reveals the long well-groomed driveway, lined with identical white cedar pines. He slows down, steady car working its way through the monstrous driveway until he reaches the bronze painted entrance leading him into the prodigal domicile.

Inside the large structure, Louis stands surrounded by tall boring beige walls holding a legion of garish work of art in numerous shades of red, somehow adding up in a very aesthetically pleasing sense. Louis eyes the tightly uniformed workforce and silently orders them to call the owner with cold darkened blues. A smart-looking lady scrambles away, hurried legs mounting the grandiose staircase and disappearing into the luxury of the floor above.

Moments later the hall rings with the soft pads of gracious footsteps descending the flight of stairs. Expensive satin robe trailing behind her as a content Stephanie Ramirez stands in front of Louis in her ever elegant poise; posture straight and dark eyes blank as a fresh piece of paper."I've been expecting you for a while, my love." She says in her poisonously perfect utterance, cherry lips forming a sly smirk as she greets her old lover with a kiss on his clenched cheek.

"Why Corden?" Louis asks straightaway, not wanting to play one of Stephanie's sick games. Her beauty is like a fantasy, hiding her serpentine mentally underneath. As much as her intelligence intrigues Louis, it scares him to no end too. "Danny," she replies without any display of emotions, cold eyes staring straight and lips resting in a straight line. "But you said he had it coming, that it didn't bother you. I did not take you for a fucking liar, Ramirez." Louis spits viciously while Stephanie remains unfazed.