Chapter 8: Beware Friendly Warnings

Warnings: suggestive themes, vague mentions of cheating, threat, choking, blood

"I swear, if you so much as think it, I'll take Mjolnir and bash your head in," you warned Thor, cringing as you collapsed into the large chair by his window. You swung your legs over the arm and just lay across it for a moment, hoping to alleviate some of the force on your ribs. Pushing your hair from your face, you turned towards the smirking prince and groaned, "I'd rather wear nothing than this... this... medieval Midgardian torture device! It's like a permanent vice around my chest! I can barely breathe! And then with everyone staring and saying... things..."

Leaning against the wall, laughing out loud when you ungracefully rolled off the chair and crawled across to the room towards his bed, Thor asked, "I take it that certain members of the court have been less than discrete in their opinions of your new attire?"

"Oh, your bed is so comfy," you sighed, stretching out your limbs as far as you could but still not reaching the edges. It moulded to the shape of your body, distorted as it was by the horribly constricting corset, and relieved a little of the crushing pressure on your chest. Shuffling up the length and resting your head amid the mountain of pillows, you looked over to the prince and said, "No, seriously. I'm not moving."

"You are welcome to share my bed any time, Y/N."

You caught sight of his overly suggestive grin as he moved to join you on the enormous bed, shuffling over to make space for him by your side. "Don't you start. I told you that I've already had enough of that sort of suggestion already today. Although most were considerably less polite in their offer. Nobles can be so crude."

"Indeed but, whether you like it or not, you are difficult to ignore in such a beautiful dress. Of course, I would never dream of stealing you away from my brother, lest I incur his eternal wrath. I'd pity any man or woman who dreamed of laying hands on what is his."

"I've managed to avoid Loki so far today," you said, ignoring Thor's comment about your relationship with the younger prince. Since you were unable to be public about it, Thor was the only other person on Asgard that knew of your feelings for one another. Around others he held his tongue but when you two were alone he made no attempts to censor his thoughts. "And I'm not his. I am no object to own."

"I meant no offence, Y/N. You know that I see you as more than just an object."

"I know."

Exchanging smiles, Thor patted your arm and asked, "Why are you hiding from my brother, anyway? Surely, if you wanted anyone's attention in this gown, it would be his? I would be surprised if Loki could form so much a single coherent thought in your presence."

"That's exactly why I am avoiding him. It's one thing to be ogled by strangers but if Loki saw me in this ridiculous thing, I have no idea what he'll do. I'd rather not make a fool of myself that way."

"Trust me, Y/N, if either of you is to be acting the fool, it will Loki. When he sees you in this..." Thor raised his eyebrows suggestively, leaving the rest to your imagination. After a little more teasing, the prince's demeanour instantly changed the second you heard a knock on the door. He was still relaxed but the playfulness had been replaced by a dogged determination. Calling in his guests, you hopped off the bed the moment you realised who they were - the warriors three and lady Sif, in the flesh - and tried (heavily restricted by that damned corset) to bow down to them.

Thor threw his arm around you and pulled you back to your feet, laughing. "You needn't bow to these fools. My friends, I assume you know of lady Y/N."