CHAPTER 7: LAYING THE EGG

A couple of months later, Hortense was three months pregnant. She was still on bed rest. She had been spending as much time with Blaire as she could. She was a mom and she needed to spend time with Blaire as much as possible. Blaire also spent time with Quackmore and Matilda. Matilda wanted to be a fun aunt for Blaire and that's what she was. She put discipline in place when it was obviously needed though. Blaire was going to be three soon. Hortense was planning a birthday party for the little girl. It was being planned for the last few months. It was all that Hortense could really do while being stuck in bed for the last few months due to being pregnant.

"Hortense, are you feeling alright?" Quackmore asked one morning before he left for work. "I'm just not feeling very well. I think it's just the morning sickness acting up again but I think I should be fine later," Hortense said. He gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead. "I'll be home on my lunch break to check up on you," he said. "Alright, I love you," she said. "I love you too," he said. He pulled the blankets over her. "Get some rest. I hope you'll feel better," he said. "I'm sure I will," she said. "I've got to go, honey," he said, gently placing a hand on her expanded stomach. "Alright," she said. He gave her a final kiss on her forehead again and left.

On his lunch break, Quackmore came home as promised. Hortense was asleep when he got home to see her. He put a hand on her stomach and she woke up. "Hey," she said. "Hey, are you feeling better?" he asked. "I am a little better," she said. She grabbed her stomach and her face changed to a look of pain. "I think our egg is coming," she said. "What? Now!" he said. "Just shut up and take me to the hospital Quackmore," Hortense shouted. She got up and he took her to the hospital. They got to the hospital just in time because Hortense had to start pushing. She didn't have time for an epidural. She was in so much pain for the laying process of the egg. She didn't have this much pain when she laid Blaire's egg. She had time for an epidural then. This labor went faster than the last one. She pushed for four and a half hours with this egg.

"I can't deal with the pain anymore," Hortense said. "Yes you can, the egg is about to come," Quackmore said. "I've been pushing for four and a half hours and my water didn't even break yet," she said. The doctor made a small incision in Hortense's uterus and cut a hole into the amniotic sac. Hortense gave a big push and the egg slipped right out into the doctor's hands. "There's your egg," Dr. Garcia said. "Finally, after four and a half hours of pushing," Hortense said. "We'll check over the egg and bring it back to you in your room," Dr. Garcia said.

After Hortense got some rest, Matilda came in with Blaire and they were followed by Scrooge. Matilda was carrying Blaire in her arms. "What are you guys doing here?" Hortense said with a smile on her face. "We came to see you," Matilda said. "So how are you Hortense?" Scrooge said, hugging his youngest sister. "I'm doing alright, just in a sore from laying the egg," Hortense said. Both of the older McDucks looked to Quackmore. "She needed some stitches after laying the egg. She's still supposed to be on strict bed rest until the stitches come out on their own," Quackmore said, taking Blaire into his arms. "How long will that be?" Scrooge asked. "Anywhere from four to six weeks," Hortense replied to her older brother. "I can't wait to see you back at work," Scrooge said. "I can't wait to be back at work," Hortense said.