0.0 ─ hannah rogers

the world spins in orbitand the stars glitter in placeyou spin me on the dance floorand kiss me in darkness

and the stars glitter in place
you spin me on the dance floor
and kiss me in darkness

war takes the world around us
we watch as though ghosts
til you're called to the front
and i'm left across an ocean

finally have my chance
only a sliver of opportunity
i'll use it to find you, save you
and maybe war won't claim this love after all

written by katie

HOPE feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen; person or thing that may help or save someone; want something to happen or be the case; feeling of trust

Sarah Rogers held Winnifred Barnes hand as Winnie brought her son into the world. James Buchanan Barnes was born in 1917, the very year that the United States joined World War One. Winnie's husband, George Barnes, had been sent to war a few months ago. Sarah's husband, Joseph Rogers, was due to leave in two weeks time. The two women had been friends through school, and in two weeks they would only have each other and James. The two weeks passed far too quickly for the young Rogers couple, and Sarah can still feel the ghosts of her tear stains with each passing day.

Nine months down the road from Joseph's quick visit during a station change led to Winnie holding Sarah's hand as Steven Grant Rogers was born in 1918. The two best friends continued living close by throughout the war, now with their sons becoming fast friends too. The occasional visits of George and Joseph brought sprinklings of relief and happiness into Winnie and Sarah's lives. The eternal fear they held at knowing that they could lose the loves of their lives, that at any minute they could be gone and it would take months for them to even hear of their husbands' deaths.

With the end of World War One, Sarah and Winnie got to kiss their husbands 'welcome home'. Only tension hung in the air, for soldiers that had served were being redeployed to manage and act in clean up and control overseas. George escaped redeployment, but Joseph did not. On James', although he had recently been dubbed Bucky by his father, second birthday Joseph Rogers had to go back overseas.

Sarah Rogers got the most terrifying news of her life only a few months later, Joseph had been murdered. Several troops had been going missing on patrols, and they had been found - gassed, dead. Her insides twisted with the news, sinking to the ground with the telegram in hand. Sobbing on her knees, screaming for the world to explain why? Why they had to take him from her. From his son. From his child that she had only just learned she is pregnant with.