Chapter 5~ Invisible Bruises

Throughout my life, the only true pain I'd experienced had always been of the emotional sort—the longing for my mother and father, the resentment towards my godmother, and the humiliation from the way I dressed. After Father left, there was no one left to protect me. All of a sudden, I'd entered this cruel world where I had no one to run to or cry on. If only the change had been gradual.

My exhausted body lied on the rotting floor. The blood was still seeping from the wound on my cheek. My new and old gashes ached. Every breath I took stung like wasps in my lungs. My ribs were bruised though nothing appeared yet on my skin. I attempted to sit up and cried out from an instant burn on my bottom right ribcage. Though, I finally propped myself up, lying on the wall. I pushed my hair away from the sticky blood.

There certainly was a strong difference between emotion and physical suffering—the physical type being much more bearable. When coughing, I might as well had a dagger in my chest. Tears washed over my cheeks, stinging when reaching the cut.

The worst part about the damage was that I wasn't sure whether to believe Tew or not. My father had his odds stacked against him. People change in three years' time. Anyone could've taken advantage of my father's weakness. The man I loved might not have even existed anymore.

I hit the back of my head against the wall many times in pure aggravation. The feeling of complete confusion made me feel as though I was wading through a never-ending lake—all alone. The world is suddenly very lonely when you realize you no longer have someone to trust.

My eyes began to close as the light outside died only to be reborn on the bottom of the earth. Footsteps met the outside of the door, and keys jangled with energy and motion.

The Cabin Boy entered with his usual tray of rotten grub, a bucket, and his scar across his nose. He found me drained on the floor.

"Christ," he shuddered, "you look as pale as ghosts." Edmund set the tray aside and knelt in front of me. He held a hand out for the cloths which I then produced.

"I think my ribs are broken," I told him. A wave of discomfort passed over him, something that wasn't helping my frightened mood at all.

"Okay, um, sorry, can you lift your blouse so I can see?"

I did and noticed a faint red bruise coloring my right side. I refused to look at it anymore.

"Well, I dunno what you expected, lass. You did kill a man today." The idea made both of us smirk.

"You would do the same if you were in my position."

Edmund washed out the rags, and I watched the clear water become clouded with a dark scarlet. Then, I watched him. Why was I sort of relieved whenever he walked through the door?

Because he's healing you. That's why.

I began to recall what the Cabin Boy had said about his family the day before. His fingers continued to dip into my watered-down blood as if it was nothing. Maybe it truly was nothing. He was too young to be that diligent—too young to have a gaze that wise and perceptive.

"Is this what you wanted to do when you got older—become a doctor?" I asked.

Edmund glanced up at me. "You want the truth?"

"Yes."

A small smile played on his lips.

"When I was a lad, I planned to be just like my father, commandin' a fleet of the bravest and most darin' men the world had ever seen. I grew up with my father. When his dream changed, mine did as well. He taught me everything he knew...and more. Still figure I'd make a pretty damn good leader."