"just a rock"

"Rocko doesn't have feelings, Zoey! Rocko's a rock!"

The yellow puppet gasped in anger and betrayal. "Elmo! You hurt Rocko's feelings!"

Deep down, the other puppet knew he was going to regret his next words later, but in the spur of the moment he just couldn't help himself.

"I don't care, Zoey! I don't like Rocko, he's just a rock!"

"Elmo, don't say that! He's hurt, look at what you've done!"

There was a twinge of pain in Elmo's heart, and he hated every bit of it. Not being able to stop himself, he kept up the act. However, before he could even respond, Zoey beat him to it with heartbroken words and an even more hurt expression.

"He isn't just a rock, Elmo. He's a friend, and more of a friend than you'll ever be!"

With that, the pink clad puppet walked off, taking her real friend with her. 

Elmo was left with just himself and his thoughts, and quite honestly he didn't like it at all. He wished he had a filter, he wished he didn't lie to both himself and Zoey about his feelings towards Rocko. 

Sometimes, denial got the best of him.

"Elmo, what were you thinking?! You've just made everything so much worse!", Oscar exclaimed in rage.

"I'm sorry, Oscar! Elmo doesn't know what to do!"

"Elmo better find out what to do alone because he's getting ignored!"

With that, the grimy green puppet sank into his humble abode, not even caring about the situation his acquaintance was in.

"I'm sorry, Elmo. I don't know what to do, I've never really been in this type of situation before."

The yellow bird stared down at the smaller red puppet with a frown. "But Big Bird, you have to help me!"

"Just apologize for it, Elmo. I've got to get going, tell me how it goes with Rocko!"

Elmo felt even more lonely than before.

With a loud sigh, a certain red puppet walked up to Zoey. There she was, pushing Rocko on a swing an laughing happily, seemingly without a care in the world.

Elmo was saddened by how happy they looked together, wondering if he even had a chance with such an amazing and accepting rock such as Rocko. He was devastated at the thought of unrequited love between he and his now past best friend's now only true friend. 

He sighed and straightened his posture, the only thing on his mind being determination. 

If Rocko rejects me, so what! It can't be that hard to get over it, right?

Oh, how wrong he would be.

He defiantly walked up to Zoey and tapped her shoulder gently. He could almost feel the anger radiating from her body when she realized who it was.

"What, Elmo." It came out as a statement, only further proving her agitation. 

"I wanted to apologize. Not just to Rocko, but to you also. I'm very sorry for what I said earlier, it was very rude of me and I was just upset that Rocko got the cookie instead of me. I hope you both could forgive me."

He lowered his head at the end of his apology, not even being able to look her in the eyes in fear that she would glare at him throughout it. He caught a glance towards Rocko, which didn't help with his lingering fear and sadness. 

After what felt like years, Elmo could hear Zoey sigh. "Elmo. Rocko wants to tell you something."

His head shot up and he leaned in a bit closer. "Yes, what is it Rocko?"

"Rocko says that he really likes you. At first, he was very mad at you for saying he didn't have feelings, and was upset thinking that it would be unrequited, but he feels like you like him so he just told me to tell you that."

Elmo couldn't believe his ears. After the many hours he spent arguing with Zoey about Rocko, after so many days wasted with something as useless as saying Rocko couldn't have feelings, here he was, listening to the confession of a rock. After the days and weeks and months of back and forth banter, Elmo was finally able to understand that Rocko isn't just a rock. 

Rocko was so much more than that. Rocko was a friend. Rocko was someone's best friend, someone's one true love. Rocko had feelings, just like Zoey and Elmo did. And so much more than just that. 

"I really like Rocko, too, Zoey. Thank you for forgiving me."

"It's alright, Elmo. People make mistakes, I'm glad you got past yourself and realized that!"

Elmo looked Zoey in the eyes and smiled, and she smiled back. She broke eye contact to pick up Rocko and place him in Elmo's hands. 

"He isn't just a rock, Elmo. He's so much more."

"I know, Zoey. He really is."