Chapter Three

Blast From the Past

Blast From the Past

November 8th, 1963

JESS LANDED FACE FIRST IN A DUMPSTER. She gritted her teeth and hoisted herself up on the ledge. Blue energy rippled in the sky above her, whipping up a violent wind. Lose newspaper and trash flew through the alleyway. Then, seconds later, it collapsed in on itself. The debris fluttered to the ground. A silence followed, the alleyway settling back to normal.

"Five? Five, you jackass!" Jess called as she climbed free of the dumpster. "Oh, son of a...what did we do now?"

The alleyway was completely empty. Jess turned, searching for some sign of Ezekiel or the Hargreeves. No one. The alleyway was completely empty, inhabited by shadows alone. Heavy clouds collected above, plunging the night sky into ever deeper darkness. The only light came from a faint glow that barely made it through the clouds. The moon.

Jess stumbled blindly towards the end of the alleyway. The streets were empty, aside from a stray cat that scurried away when Jess almost stepped on its tail. She didn't recognize the buildings around her. Either the city was far smaller when they were kids than Jess remembered, or Five seriously screwed up his time travel.

Reluctantly, Jess reached for the newspaper she'd seen in the alleyway. She almost didn't want to know when and where she'd been dropped into. It was certain to disappoint.

The Dallas News. Fantastic Five had dropped them in Texas.

By luck, the front page was still attached. Jess peeled the wet pages apart and, squinting through the darkness, managed to find the date. November 8th, 1963. The 60s.

Seething, Jess crumpled the paper and threw it as hard as she could. It slapped against the floor. Even her anger was unsatisfying. Just like being stuck in the goddamn 1960s when they were supposed to be in the 80s at most, preparing for the strange baby boom that caused their issue in the first place.

What was that issue? Oh, just something simple like...the apocalypse. The end of days. Something like that.

Of course, Five fucked it up. Could they do anything right?

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

November 15th, 1963

SOMETIMES JESS WONDERED IF SHE MADE THIS HARDER ON HERSELF. She was sure things didn't have to be as hard as it is. If she'd just bend her morals a little bit. Make herself more predictable. Accept the bigotry of the 1960s and don't think too hard about it. Even ignore their disrespect people showed towards her, pretending she didn't care that she was being treated like trash.