Chapter Thirty Eight : Consoling Consequences

Cosmo's POV

"You seem stressed," I said. Tails was entirely focused on the scanner's readings that he had not heard me at all.

"So far, your readings seem normal," He said, still typing away. He turned for a brief second to ask me, "Did you say something?"

"Nevermind. I can tell your busy."

His brows furrowed, "Are you okay, Cosmo? Your readings say your fine, but I can't tell if you are."

I sat up straighter, "I could say the same for you, Tails. Lately, I need a scanner to tell me how you're feeling."

He smiled at the joke, but brushed away my concern. I just wish he would tell me what's worrying him. Hm... maybe I should to try different approach.

I slid off the examination desk, and came by his side. I tucked my arm under his, knowing how much affection means to him. I told him, "I know something's bothering you. You have dark circles under your eyes."

He looked away, ashamed. I rested my head on his shoulder, "You're worrying me. I just want to help you, but I can't if you don't say anything."

He replied, "I'm not worried, I just... have a lot on my mind."

I put my hands on my hips, giving him a look, "Tails, that is worrying!"

He crossed his arms defensively, "No it's not! There's a difference! If I was worrying, there would be a lot more stress eating."

I cocked my head at the baked goods by his desk. He blushed, "That's my breakfast?"

"It's past lunch," I frowned at him.

"It is? Geez, you'd think I'd look at my watch more for the time," He said, doing that.

I sighed, looking away from him. "Tails, why can't you tell me what's wrong? You trust me for other things, but never for your own well-being. I trust you with mine."

He finally took me seriously, his ears folding down, "I'm sorry. It's a bad habit I've gotten into lately."

"Well, I don't like it. It doesn't suit you."

"I know, it's just that since finding out Sonic's keeping secrets from me, I've just been hurt," Tails finally confessed to me, "He means well, I'd like to think he does, but I don't know! He isn't here for me to ask, and I can't take it out on Oz anymore! So it's just frustrating! I love him, but I want to punch him sometimes! It's like he doesn't care! I know he does, but does he really if he keeps hurting me like this?!"

He huffed, calming down again. He took a deep breath, and let it out. "Sorry, but that was cathartic."

"I could tell," I said. I placed my hand on his shoulder, "I don't mean to force it out of you, but you really should talk about this more."

Tails nodded. Then he started to giggle, a big grin growing on his face. I asked, "What?"

He giggled, "I think we had our first fight."

"I don't think that's something we should be laughing about," I said, but I was giggling as well. He laughed at me, and I pushed him to the side.

His watch started beeping. An incoming call. He answered it, stifling his giggles, "Yes?"

"Tails! Is Oz with you?" Amy's panicked voice asked him. That stopped the laughter.

"Isn't Oz with you? On your date?" He asked.

"He's gone! I can't find him!" She sounded as if she had been, or still was, crying.

"Did he run off again?" Tails asked, annoyed. How disappointing. I just got him happy too.