Part fourteen

I highly recommend playing the music above during the later part of this chapter. Or just listen to it at the end.

Word count (1096)

My heart fell into my stomach.

It felt like time had frozen. The air around us stilled as my mind raced. Where could he be? Why didn't he come home?

Then I looked up at Bash. My eyes burned into his with building rage.

"Why aren't you looking for him?!" My voice cracked slightly at the end and he flinched.

Before he said anything Mary came rushing to the door.

"Y/n wait! Gilbert left a note saying he would be gone for a while so he could clear his head."

The anger didn't die down. "I need to find him."

I turned swiftly on my heal and left without another word. Mary and Bash called my name as I ran.

I checked the school, the beach. The woods. Everywhere me and Gilbert had been to.

By the time nightfall hit I gave up. Tear stains streaked down my cheeks and my eyes bloodshot.

I walked up to my house. My aunt was still not home.

The house was quiet as I stepped inside. George was already in his room fast asleep so I decided to go into the music room.

As I made my way over. I noticed something was off. The door was cracked open. We never left that door open.

I found Gilbert fast asleep at the piano.

My heart broke just looking at him. Did George let him in?

I slowly made my way over to find hand written sheet music around him.

I picked one up and looked at the notes.

"I was writing that song for you."

The paper fell out of my hands and I looked over. Tears already welling up in my eyes.

"Oh Gil... I'm so sorry. I can't believe how awful I was. I didn't give you the chance to explain"

He just continued looking up at me from where his head rested on the cover. His hand gently grabbed a lock of my hair and twirled it around.

"No, I should have said something earlier about Winifred. I was just afraid that you would push me away if I told you about her."

I looked at him for another second before I reached down and grabbed the sheet music again.

"I never knew you played..."

"My father taught me how to play a little before he died. And I used to practice with the piano at the community building for a while. I stopped playing after he died."

I stayed silent but sat down on the bench next to him. I knew his father loved the piano, but I never knew they played it together.

"Gilbert I-"

He placed his hand on my arm and stopped me.

"Y/n, it's okay. We both made a mistake. I want to be with you. Always. Just you and me, I love you."

I tear rolled down my cheek and he wiped it away with his thumb.

"I love you too."

He pulled me into an embrace. His arms wrapped strongly around me and buried his face into my hair.

His shoulders started shaking and he gripped the back of my dress slightly. He was crying.

I ran my hands lightly up and down his back to soothe him.

"I was so afraid of losing you y/n. I don't know what I would have done if you left me."

I pulled away slightly so I could look at him.

"I would never leave you Gilbert. I promise."

He sniffled and I pulled him into another hug.

We stayed like that for a while before breaking apart.

"You wrote this as a duet." I stated holding the music in my hand.

He smiled at me, "I wanted something we could play together."

I grinned back at him, "can we play it now?"

He nodded his head and I placed the music in front of us on the piano.

"I want you to play the melody," he said.

We practiced for a while so I could get the song down before we played it all together.

When we finally played it, it was beautiful. I can't believe he never told me he could play. Let alone write this amazing duet.

Our arms brushed every time our notes got close and we would look at each other. His eyes glittered and I just knew. Gilbert Blythe was the man I wanted to be with for the rest of my life.

After the song ended I laid my head on his shoulder.

I felt my eyes go heavy.

The last thing I remember was being carried to my room and Gilbert tucking me in bed.

"Goodnight y/n."

~Time skip to the end of summer~

Summer ended a lot faster than any of us wanted it to. After the night I found Gilbert in the music room, we spent most of our time there. We wrote music. Played songs. And tried to teach our friends how to play.

Mary's belly had grown much larger and the baby was constantly kicking.

I still went over every week to Gilbert's house to help prepare for the arrival.

I can't believe our last year of school had finally arrived.

~

"Y/n! Your going to be late for school!" My aunt Esme called from downstairs. I was still in my undergarments. I couldn't decide which dress to wear. Which was stupid because I only had three dresses.

Finally, I just grabbed my light green dress and put it on. "I'm coming!"

Things with Billy and Josie had mostly cleared up over the summer. They had eventually apologized and Josie was being friendlier towards me. Whereas Billy just ignored me. I didn't mind.

I met Gilbert and my friends at the fork in the path.

"Good morning everyone!! Today is just magnificent, isn't it?" Anne said as we started on our way.

We all smiled at her, "just beautiful." Cole said back.

When we got to the school, we placed our milks in the stream and went inside. 

"Good morning and welcome back everyone!"

We all chorused our good mornings back to her.

This year is going to be the best one yet. I can just feel it.

It wasn't.

AN:
Wow 10k!! Thank you guys for putting up with my horrible updating schedule 😢
Another cliffhanger I knowwwwww
I am going camping next week though and I am so excited! Also, I wanna see some Gilberttok rn. Do any of you have recommendations? Thanks!

<3

Edited: 11/06/22