9. accidental destruction

╔═══════════════╗

𝐂𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥 𝐖𝐚𝐫

╚═══════════════╝

Mila sits on the edge of a building beside Sam Wilson, she is wearing her new mission suit for the first time. "Is it meant to be this itchy?" she asks reaching her hand back to scratch the itch. Sam chuckles, shaking his head. "You get used to it."

Mila is wearing a skin tight dark blue suit with matching shoes of the same airy fabric. She is also wearing a black jacket on her shoulders, the fabric is easy to move in and finger-less gloves adorn her hands with sensory padding in the palms so Tony can monitor her powers. They still don't know the full extent of them.

Steve Rogers speaks over the comms device in Mila's ear. "All right, what do you see?" Wanda is first to reply. "Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target." "There's an ATM in the south corner, which means . . ." he waits for Mila to reply to him but Wanda once again beats her to it. "Cameras." "Both cross streets are one way."  Mila finally buts in. "So, compromised escape routes." "Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Mila looks over across the street to see the small truck. "Yeah, the red one? It's cute." "It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." This is Natasha speaking now. "You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" "You can't rely on your powers all the time сестра" Mila tells Wanda.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." Natasha adds. "Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam says standing up and walking across the roof to the opposite ledge. "Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" "Whispers on the street." Mila replies jokingly. "Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him." Steve reprimands our banter.

"If he sees us coming that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us." Sam comments as he crosses back over beside Mila. The two of them notice a garbage truck is pushing its way through traffic, with no regard for pedestrians or other vehicles. "Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it." From the back of Sam's Falcon jet pack, a small drone, launches and flies down to scan the garbage truck.  "What do you see?" Mila questions looking at the truck carefully. "Hang on, Give me X-ray....That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed."

"It's a battering ram."

"Shit," Mila shoots up into the sky, following it closely. "Go now." Steve tells the rest of the team. "Why?" Wanda questions, confused. "He's not hitting the police."

Mila flies closer watching as the garbage truck is driving towards the gate. The driver jumps out, and the truck slams into the gateway. Two trucks rush into the compound through the newly-made entrance. Soldiers in black armour emerge from the trucks, firing their rifles around the courtyard. Four more soldiers fire gas canisters into the building.

"I got eyes on Rumlow!" Mila shouts as she flies closer, dropping down to the courtyard. Knocking out a soldier as she lands. "Body armour, AR-15's. I make seven hostiles." "Six." Mila states referring to her previous victim.

"I make 4." Sam adds. Wanda arrives, flying over the rooftop and into the courtyard, blocking fire with her powers. She takes control of one soldier and lifts him upward. "Mila." Wanda calls as Mila runs forward she pushes him away with a gust of wind. "Three."

Sam's drone flies by, scanning the inside of the building. "Rumlow's on the third floor." "Mila, just like we practiced."  Steve jumps and Mila uses her powers to propel him through the air and into a window on the third floor. "What about the gas?" Wanda asks. "Get it out." Steve instructs.

Wanda uses her powers to remove the gas from the building. Sam is exchanging fire with several soldiers. Mila stands safely in the guard of Sam's wings.  "Rumlow has a biological weapon."  Natasha rides in on a motorcycle.

"I'm on it." She jumps off the motorcycle and it skids toward a soldier. She takes out soldiers through hand-to-hand combat. Rumlow comes up behind her and grabs her collar, dragging her onto an armoured vehicle.

She tries electrocuting him but he doesn't react. "I don't work like that no more." He throws her through the roof hatch into an armoured vehicle, drops in a grenade, and shuts the hatch. "Fire in the hole." Natasha takes out the soldiers inside, then grabs one to shield herself from the grenade. The doors blow open and she is thrown out. Mila runs forward attempting to stop the blow of the grenade from spreading fire. "Sam. Mila. He's in an AFV heading north."

Mila shoots off into the sky with Sam watching as the truck crashes into a nearby structure and Rumlow and the soldiers emerge. Sam lands on the roof of a structure while Mila lands in the middle of the scattered crowd. Sam scans the area with his goggles. "I got four, they're splitting up, one is heading your way Mila."

"I got the two on the left." Natasha says. "They ditched their gear. It's a shell game now. One of them has the payload." Mila is fighting through the crowd and spots her guy pushing a side an old lady. "Did no one ever tell you to respect your elders?" She remarks, he snarls and makes a swing for her. Mila ducks in time landing her own blow on his torso. He flies back at the impact of her punch mixed with the air thrown at him. He's knocked unconscious at the impact of the wall.

Mila runs to his gear, sifting through it. "I got nothing." She says just as Sam speaks through the comm. "He doesn't have it. I'm empty." It's down to Natasha now. After a few minutes Mila makes her way to Sam in the crowd. Natasha voices through the comms. "Payload secure. Thanks, Sam." "Don't thank me." "I'm... not thanking that thing." "His name is Redwing." Sam responds. "I'm still not thanking it." Mila stifles a laugh. "He's cute. Go ahead, pet him." "You'll hurt Redwing's feeling Nat." Mila tells her through the device.

Soon everything goes quite as a large explosion goes off in the middle of the square. Mila watches as a ball of fire is lifted up by red wisps. Wanda. She loses control, and the explosion finally blossoms, devastating entire floors of a nearby office building.

Mila feels her blood run cold. "Oh my god." Mila can hear the quite voice of Steve Rogers over her comms but she tunes it out staring at the devastation before her. "Sam . . . We need . . . Fire and Rescue . . . on the south side of the building. We gotta get up there."

»»————- ★ ————-««

(A/N)

This scene always gives me goose bumps. The pain Wanda must of felt always hurts me.

[Word Count: 1235]