10// Homecoming Revisited

Tuesday

Emmett didn't come back until really, really late last night. But the parents didn't notice, since they were dealing with hangovers from their mid morning adventures. I, however, did notice. Because I couldn't fall asleep.

I was lying in bed when I heard the front door key lock turn. The door shoved open. I heard two boots stomp on the welcome mat and movement up the stairs. Except, the stair movement didn't stop at Emmett's floor. He kept going until I heard him near my floor. I rolled over to face the wall opposite the stairs. The footprints stopped on the landing six feet from my pullout bed. I heard a sigh, then the footprints returned down the stairs and back to Emmett Becker's floor. It felt like a horror movie and a rom com all at once. My heart was pounding in my chest so loudly I was surprised he thought I was asleep.

Anyway, this morning, I did not run into him in the bathroom. Instead, Weston and Laura were there fighting over a sink even though there were multiple around the large room. I didn't run into him at breakfast. He had "gone to the coffee house and would return with six hangover remedies" as the note he left on the counter said. I crumpled that note and put it in the recycling bin.

I felt determined. I had to fix this. I had to give Emmett Becker a real, solid, no me-running-away-mid-conversation chance to explain himself... that is if it isn't too late.

Today was the first of three days the families would go skiing. Becker had to show.

And he did.

We were all getting dressed in layers and layers of ski gear, Laura and Weston were so bundled up they couldn't lower their arms, and I was sweating in my bright purple ski suit. We gathered downstairs, the ten of us, Becker standing on the other side of the room with his parents. Mr Greene was kissing his wife on the couch as his kids groaned, and my parents seemed just as glowing as if last nights escapades led to more than just a few hangovers. My mother was quiet. Not forcing me to stand next to Emmett Becker, and I think Becker noticed. I tried to make eye contact with him, but he wouldn't give in.

Finally, all ten of us were ready and we walked to the great lodge to meet the van that would take us to the slopes lodge where we'd get our skis. The van fit ten guests exactly plus the driver. The adults took the first two rows and passenger seat, and the four "kids" sat in back. Becker, then Weston, then Laura, and finally me. The ride up was bustling. The adults were excited, and Laura was nervous. I kept working on calming her down. Becker was silent, thinking. He kept his eyes looking out of the window. I kept glancing over at him.

"Are you excited?" I asked him, timidly.

He looked at me, shocked that I would be starting a conversation with him, but not mad.

"Yes, I haven't been skiing in a long time," he responded cordially.

"You've been before?" I continued.

"As a kid. I was maybe Weston's age."

"I'm excited!" Weston interjected.

"I'm nervous!" Laura added in.

Emmett Becker went back to staring out the window. I soothed Laura down again.

"Becker... um... are you going to do the difficult slopes?" I asked.

Becker looked back over at me. This time his face looked confused. I tried to give him my best "I'm trying to forgive" eyes. He didn't catch on.

"Probably not today. I'll start on the easy ones," he answered, still confused.

"Yeah, I'm going to start on the bunny hill," I giggled. I could smack myself for giggling.

Becker turned his body towards me. His eyebrows were furrowed.