Chapter 6

Afterglow

“It’s been a while.”

After lighting another candle up, you sat down. You sat in front of his grave. Someone who is very important to you. This sensation is always bittersweet. Nonetheless, you manage to smile.

“Right now, I’m dealing with some issues. I apologize for not being able to pay you a visit.” You explained despite the fact that you know you won’t get a response. Still smiling bitterly, you arrange the flowers you bought.

You touched its petals. “They’re pretty, don’t you think?”

“As I told you..” Your gaze was drawn to the carved name in his grave. “I’ve been carrying too much in my shoulders. I feel weak.”

“I was hoping if you could hand me your strength. I'm already on the verge of giving up.” You hugged your figure as the cold breeze brushed against your skin. “Please give him strength, too. I.. he needs it.”

“I know you want to meet him, but not this way right? Can you tell an angel to give him more time?” You joked.

Dad, could you please hand me your strength?”

Meeting Baji’s mother, Mama Baji, turned out to be one of the sweetest moments of your life. Prior to dating Baji, he told you about the reason he was asking for help. His mom cried, and he wanted to do better in academics. You felt obligated to do so; you said yes.

Based on Baji’s stories, she is caring, appears to be soft-spoken — very different from his dear son. He was not wrong about her. Your first meeting justifies it all.

She knitted a scarf for you as a thank you gift for helping Baji. She, too, was taken aback when you two began dating. She even joked about finding someone else. You are too perfect for Baji; she said.

You are wearing that scarf today.

After you and Toman checked on Baji, you returned to your house. He was still in the surgery room when you left. You wanted to stay and wait for him to wake up, but your mother insisted you go home and rest. You declined twice, but Yuzuha escorted you away from the situation. She said, you did more than enough and you should rest.

Both of you are now sitting on the rooftop, with a mug of coffee in your hands. The autumn breeze felt usual for you. You can’t find comfort even with Yuzuha and these by your side.

Yuzuha understood the entire situation. It would be devastating if Baji died as a result of his injuries. Hell, even she prayed to God for his safety because she can’t imagine what will happen next if you lose him.

In the middle of silence, your phone rang. The call was from Baji’s mother.

“You must be Y/N! I’m Baji’s mom. Thank you for helping my son.” She introduced herself. “Here, just a small gift.” Handing you a knitted light blue scarf. It has few designs, your name and white pony flowers. It was cute.

“Thank you so much for this! I will keep it.” You smiled at her. She reciprocates your smile. “You are too good for Kei, don’t you think?” She joked, earning a laugh from you.

“Hmm, I don’t think so, auntie. He teaches me some things he knows to. And he’s surprising sometimes.” You reasoned.

“Call me mom instead,” she said, tapping your shoulder. “I’m not bothered. And you’re no stranger to me, so feel at ease!”

You developed a wonderful relationship with his loving mother, the first woman in Baji’s life, in an instant.

The sweet smile on her face. Will you get to see it again? You pondered. The news of his son, getting in a danger situation, shocked her whole being.