Prologue

Not even a single star could be seen in the darkness that night.
An opaque cloak was starting to spread and descend upon Alghad, covering every single house and shops in the city.
Craning her head to see out the window of her bedroom, the little Dayena was watching the gloomy clouds forming and warping themselves to suit Heavens' whims and fancies.
A storm is brewing up, she thought.
Although, the question was what kind of storm was about to strike the capital city of the Kingdom of Eraz.

Dayena could not sleep that night.
Because she dreamt, again.
No, she did not dream.
She had a nightmare.
For two months now, she would have the same nightmare; she would see the same room, the same stoned walls, the same single burning candle, the same face; the face of a young boy, possibly four or five years older than her. He was always appearing to her huddled up, barefoot, wearing rags and with long black hair covering his face, preventing Dayena to see up close.
And as always, everytime she would try to get closer to him, the same coolness, the same feeling of suffocating would suddenly grab her.
And as always, the little princess would wake up with a start, her forehead dripping with sweat, her hands red and burning, as if she came too close to a fire.

As if she had tried to touch something she was not meant to graze.
She then would try to scream but no sound would ever leave her mouth.

That night, she had no one to call, no one to ask for help. She did not like her governess and her mother was not here anymore. Her father, King Haider, was in a military campaign in the North, fighting rebels.
Dayena exhaled and looked up.
Staring at the clouds, she took a deep breath and brought her hands together.

She started to pray.
Like her mother taught her longtime ago, she asked God to help her and to send a sign, a message, something.
Something, please, she begged.

She heard a sound.
Dayena abruptly opened her eyes and her gaze fell upon the horizon.
The noice increased quickly, sounding like millions of bees dangerously getting closer.
She distinguished a light in the distance, like a blazing star shining in the dark and soundless landscape.

One.
Then, ten.
Then, a hundred.
Then, a brightening rush fell upon the city, it was like
witnessing a sunrise, but in the dead of night.
All of a sudden, Dayena started to understand what was happening.

No, it was not bees.
No, it was neither the Sun.
A piercing sound escaped her mouth, forcing her
to focus on what was happening right in front of her eyes.
The city was slowly waking up, little by little and one by one in each house, a light was starting to born and burn.
The lights preceded the screams and to the screams
succeeded the footsteps of those trying to take refuge in the center of the capital, kept by high walls.
Suddenly, Dayena felt a pressure on her left arm, she lowed her eyes on her arm and then looked up to the person holding it.

A Royal Guard.

"Quick! Your Highness, we must leave now," he said to her.
Dayena frowned. "Leave? But for where? The battle must take place here."
The Royal Guard gazed at her, let go of her arm and took a step back.
"What do you mean your Highness? We should protect you and take shelter. The Khazid are here. His Majesty and His army are far north; the General Gheriz and his men are nowhere to be seen. You must go."
As she observed the human tidal wave that was getting closer, the 9-year-old girl clenched her fists, fearing that the guard would see how her little body was quaking.
"As you just explained yourself, the King is not present, nor is the Queen and the General. So as the first born and heir to the throne, I—" Dayena marked a pause and breathed in to steady her voice "— I command you to gather all the men and women you can and to go fight. Without a proper army nor a way to evacuate millions of people, Death if waiting for us anyway and anywhere so you should die honorably as servants of the Kingdom of Eraz."
Despite the din, a deafening silence could be heard. Dayena swept the room with her eyes, numerous guards and servants had gathered around her, others were peeking through her massive doors; all of them staring at her, enthralled but also intrigued but there were no time and she knew that.

Unexpectedly, it was at this moment that Dayena noticed and understood the absurdity of monarchy and of her power. She knew her role, her place and her duties as the heir to the throne but she was also only 9 years old, she was only a child.

She shook her head. "Use the underground passages and evacuate Princess Iliana as well as the civilians that cannot fight." She announced and then turning to the guard "How much time do we have left until they reach and break through the first high walls ?"

"Given the circumstances and our lack of fighters and arms, I would say two hours, Your Grace."

"Very well, then go fetch the General and be ready to do what you have to do" she concluded with.

And indeed, they had done what they had to do.
All these able-bodied women and men by means of sabres and forks fought to protect their capital.

And all perished in the hands of the Khazid.

And the young princess disappeared.

Thus, this event marked the beginning of the fall of the Kingdom of Eraz and the advent of one of the greatest empires of all times, the Khazidive Empire.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Hi, lovely Sultanis and Sultanas.
This is the prologue of my new story, A gloomy Star.
I hope you liked it, please let me know what you think of it.

With that been said, join me in Dayena's journey and let me take you to Ancient Arabia and Ancient Persia. 🌬🐪

Nota bene : English is not my first language so I'm sorry for mistakes and let me know in my dms so I can correct it. 🌪