Chapter 2: In Ruins

You've been following Wheatley around the same set of dark halls and rooms for some time now while he told you to press/flip random buttons and switches on every control panel you both came across. He acted like he knew what he was doing when in reality, he was just hoping for a lucky break like the time he found you. Of course, nothing worked but you just played along.

In between the control panels and rooms, you'd flip through the folder with a flashlight in your mouth. You found it lying on the floor and you were pleasantly suprised that it still worked. You weren't completely dependent on Wheatley's light anymore.

Particles of dust would fly across your face as you turned the pages
You were currently skimming through the section for the HumAlt Model 4.

Key features:
- 'Human Respiratory System'–Inspired  cooling system.
- With interior fan for optimal cooling.
- Complete with 5 senses.
- Skin material seamlessly cover ports.
- recharges built-in battery through sleeping*

* see more on sleep, page 6

An illustration of the interior fan was attached to the paper with a rusty staple together with a written critique in red ink that read 'too noisy'. The illustration showed were the exhaust vent was located for the fan. It was supposed to be on the android's back covered by a skin-colored hydrophobic mesh. You didn't feel like a fan was inside you. You felt something pumping last time. Fans didn't pump.

"Arghhh, nothing's working," Wheatley was beginning to get frustrated by the hopelessness of it all. "Try that one there, next to the red one." He gestured to another switch. You flipped it and nothing happened, again. "Hey, why don't we take a break? Surely we can think of something by the time our break is over," you felt a bit drained by now. He slumped on his management rail and silently agreed to your suggestion.

You turn your attention back to your research and decided to ask your companion for a favor. "Wheatley," you unzipped you orange jumpsuit. "Could you check by back for something that resembles a small vent, please?"

"Uhhh, okay..."

"Great," You turned around and pulled your tank top to your shoulders. Wheatley reacted to the sudden movement of you exposing your back and composed himself quietly. "Hmm, no sign of anything."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

You readjusted your clothes back to normal and turned back to Wheatley who was now unable to look you in the eyes. "Thanks," Your mind was wandering to the unread parts of the files, there weren't a lot of pages left.

With Wheatley's light, you skipped over the pages that detailed the parts, features, and test results of the model 4. You estimated that there were at least 10 pages left on the files, you began to worry. The faint pumping in your chest began again.

You arrived at a page and noticed the big red 'PROTOTYPE '  stamped across the page before you saw that it was the HumAlt Model 5. The pages on this model were significantly less than the previous ones. This has to be it.

You pressed a finger onto the paper and read the words aloud for your friend to hear, it was fairly similar to the previous model but you noticed a change in the cooling system, "... Inspired by the Human Respiratory and Circulatory Systems."

It detailed how they've removed the vent for a more "silent experience". The cooling system on this model is focused on an artificial heart which pumps water and coolant around different body parts. So I have a heart. You noticed how the cooling systems were given a lot of importance. A little further into your reading you came across a reason as to why cooling was so vital. "Systems and battery damage will most probably occur during overheating, change coolant or rehydrate often," you read.

"I think water still runs in the facility but...uh, it might be a bit muddy and... parasite-filled. I doubt they'd survive in a robot host, no need to worry," Wheatley reassured you.

Why did they have to give me a sense of taste?

You attempted to get the image of worms and other critters that would be floating in your cup when it was time to rehydrate. Maybe they'd mature inside of you and force themselves out of your body when it was time. Wheatley did mention that every android made by Aperture does experience pain. What were they thinking? Those sick bastards, it was understandable that an android of your purpose can experience pain but what about the other ones who were made to just work in the facility?

Sentience and pain, what a terrible blessing from humankind.

Shaking your head in disappointment, you turned your attention back to the files. In the notes section, another remark in red ink was written, 'test immediately!'

Before you could process anything else, a small quake began to make itself known to you. You thought nothing of it at first but then a louder rumbling beneath you nearly knocked you over. The distant screeching of clashing metal overtook your hearing and above all the sounds, a worried voice said—

"Uh oh."