one

august 2018 — maisie

"i fail to see how this is a lobby that i make sense in, tyler." i complained.

i would be playing fortnite with smii7y and marksman. two people i have never played with. i'm familiar with them, of course, but i've never met or played with them. tyler always seems to put me in lobbies where i feel like i don't make sense, but alas, he's my best friend so i give in.

———

we all ended up having a good time and i got numbers from smii7y and marksman. i don't see myself becoming best friends with either of them, but they're both funny dudes and seem like good people. i logged off of my computer and went to go make dinner.

i checked my phone to see a text from tyler that read, "i'd love to see you and smit become friends. we could make some really good videos, the three of us. and he's a really nice kid." i laughed to myself and replied, "i got his number, i'm sure i'll talk to him at some point."

though i've been doing youtube for a little while, my tenure is nothing compared to that of tyler or our other friends. i've only been at it for about three years whereas they're racking up closer to ten years. i love doing it, though. my content is all over the place, but i love it and my subscribers love it.

i'm lumped into a very known group of creators, but i'm more on the unrecognized side. being friends with people like tyler, anthony, and marcel makes for being overshadowed, but i don't at all mind it. they have the platform and have been around much much longer. all three of them deserve every bit of respect and admiration they have.

a little about me. i'm from indiana, i met tyler when i was 10 and he was 15. our families were friends and had us together a lot. of course, we didn't get really close until we were a little older, but he was kind of like the older brother i never got to have. now, me being 20 and tyler being 25, we've never been closer. it sucks that we live farther apart now since i moved to michigan and he moved to tennessee, but our bond has strengthened being apart.

i'm going to college online for marketing, and youtube is what occupies my time. it's also my job so i don't have to worry about compromising my study with schoolwork. starting my junior year, i'm hoping things won't be as rocky as before.

my start on youtube came from playing call of duty, which is likely what anyone would expect given who i'm friends with. there's probably no surprise that my videos to blow up were of people being incredibly negative towards me in lobbies. since then, i've gravitated towards other games and have moved more away from call of duty. my channel consists a lot of fortnite, mario kart, golf it, and solo games like poly bridge.

after i finished my dinner i decided to sit down and record a poly bridge video so i could have a little bit of content put back. i don't like to record too far in advance, but obviously i don't want to swamp myself and do everything the night before or the day of.

i checked my discord messages and saw tyler sent me the invite to a server. i hesitantly clicked join and then looked at the people in it. john, scotty, marcel, smii7y, byze, brian, and evan. quite the combo and something i'm nervous to have joined. remaining hopeful, i clicked out of discord and went back to editing my videos.

———

i awoke to three texts. two from tyler and one from smii7y.

tyler:
down to record mario kart today? you know i never play so you better say yes
you also better wake up so you don't miss out

lucas:
i don't know if anyone has texted you but you're more than welcome to join me and the group to play mario kart with us today. we'd love to have you

i responded to both saying i was on my way and groggily made my way over to my switch and computer to setup recording.

filler chapter— my apologies. i need to work my way into maisie and lucas' friendship without jumping in to it like i always do.