Chapter 1 : The Story Begins

*Norma's POV*

I stood behind the front desk at the motel in a summery floral dress. It was around noon and Alex was due back home within the hour so he could begin cleaning the couple of rooms that were in use. With it being nearly summer but not quite yet there weren't that many tourists checking in which caused the motel to suffer a bit financially. But alas I still had to be open for a few more hours, probably without another soul to come by. The two rooms that were in use barely came out ever. There was room twelve, I call her a Karen cause it seems like she's created a to do list on the room and always has me give it to Alex. The man in room seven slept throughout the day, I wondered if he was alive but Alex assured me he was, every time he went in to clean.

*Mallorie's POV*
I slouched next to my father as he tiredly drove into White Pine Bay. This was our fifth move in my twelve years of life, moving from state to state for my dad's cancer treatments. This time he was busy looking for a motel we could stay at while he worked on his treatments. My black hair was in the same braid it had been in three days ago when we started the drive here. I didn't do school cause I was always taking care of my dad, I mostly stayed by his side. I frowned as he pulled up to a clearly worn down motel called Bates Motel and nearly spat at me, "Take your sister and get us a room."
"She's not even--" I started to say before I heard a growl come from him letting me know that if I continued I probably wouldn't be able to walk.
I nodded obediently and climbed out and into the back to grab my one year old sister Nora. In reality she wasn't my sister, I'm not even sure where the hell my dad got her from but he and I both knew that we weren't keeping a baby around, I could barely take care of him.
I cradled Nora in my arms her blonde hair slicked back from sweat as we walked.
I walked into the motel office and immediately saw the blonde woman and asked, "You in charge?"

*Norma's POV*
My eyes widened at the question and it was even more surprising to hear it coming out of a young girl who was holding a baby.
"Well, you wouldn't have been able to come in here if I wasn't open."- I answered with a playful smile.
The young girl rolled her eyes before saying, " I need a room for my papa. I gotta get ready and take him to his appointment. "
My eyes widened again before saying, "I need him in here to sign the paperwork first. You're too young to rent a room alone."
"Look lady. Just give me a damn key and he'll come see you after the appointment."- she snapped.
The baby in her arms started crying, and it was clear she was looking uncomfortable.
I sighed before asking, " Where's your mom?"
"Disappeared three states ago."- she answered.
" And you're taking your dad to the appointment? "- I asked pointing at the oldest girl and asked, " What's your name?"
"Mallorie."- she answered as she looked down causing her black hair to fall into her face.
Out of curiosity I asked, " What kind of appointment does your dad have?"
"He has a chemo appointment."
My face fell before I asked, "Why don't I take a load off your shoulders and keep the baby here with me? Give you time to focus on helping with your dad and then when you two get back I'll bring the baby and the paperwork to room four?"
I could sense something was wrong between the two girls including the fact that the baby looked nothing like Mallorie.
"Room four? You're giving us a room?"- Mallorie asked.
" Call it my mom instinct going off, but yes I'm giving you a room."- I answered as I reached behind myself and handed her a key and smiled as she handed me the baby and I asked, "What's her name?"
"Nora Grace."- Mallorie answered before smiling gratefully yet tiredly before leaving.

A.N.
So Norma's left with a baby who looks out of place and an odd family bringing some curiosity to the Romero life.
I loved writing this first chapter! But I need at least one or two comments before ill write the next chapter!
You can follow me on Instagram : __alexromero__

See ya in the next chapter!!