i. Another Shadyside Tragedy

CHAPTER ONE

ANOTHER SHADYSIDE TRAGEDY

MILLIE DESPISED working the late shift.

Joyce-Shelby Shoes was a popular store in the Shadyside Mall which meant that it was one of the last stores to close at the end of the day. Millie couldn't afford to work fewer hours than she already did so she had to work until closing time. Currently, Millie was closing the gates to her store and making her way over to B. Dalton's where Heather was still working.

When the girl entered the store she passed a rather rude-looking older woman who didn't notice Heather giving her the finger. Millie snorted and looked away quickly when the lady looked at her weirdly.

"Hey, Thea. Working late again?"

Heather sighed and leaned over the counter. "Yeah. I'll probably be working late for the rest of my life at the rate things are going. Mom blew the gas bill on scratch tickets."

"I'm sorry. Hey, maybe I can treat you to breakfast tomorrow to make you feel better."

"I would really like that. Thanks, Mills."

Millie nodded and walked around the counter to check out a few books that Heather still hadn't put away.

"So," Heather said from behind her. "Have you talked to Simon yet?"

Millie whipped around and looked at her in confusion. "No. Why would I talk to Simon?"

Heather just scoffed. "Maybe because you've had a crush on him since freshman year and he obviously likes you too."

"He doesn't like me, Thea. He barely even notices I'm there half the time."

"Oh trust me he notices. I see him make puppy dog eyes across the hall from you every day. You're both oblivious."

"I'm not oblivious just invisible. You're literally my only friend. If Simon liked me I'm pretty sure he would at least look in my direction."

"Well, maybe you should be the one to approach him. You have to put yourself out there, Mills."

"I have been putting myself out there. I joined band hoping to make some friends but all I got was a front seat to every football game and a free participation trophy."

"I'm just saying that maybe Simon is too nervous to approach you. Any outgoing person gets nervous around their crush. That's obviously the case with Simon. Just talk to him!"

Millie shook her head and hiked her bag up her shoulder. "I can't. I would just embarrass myself. Look, I have to get home, but I'll see you in the morning. My sister is visiting tomorrow and I have to get the house ready."