Chapter 41, The Beginning of the End

(Madelyn's POV)

"That's not how you punch someone." Ethan tried to correct me as I hit the punching bag. Why was he talking to me? I rolled my eyes and looked over at him.

"How about you come over here and we'll find out if that's the correct way or not?" I suggested. He chuckled and accepted my challenge by standing up. He walked toward me and I backed up to put more space between me and the punching bag.

"What's wrong? Didn't expect me to challenge you? Don't have your boyfriend to protect you?" Was he serious? He knows nothing about me and Jason anymore.

"I don't need anyone to protect me. Especially not from you." I scoffed. He chuckled, pulling a sly smirk onto his lips. He enjoyed not caring about me anymore.

I threw a punch, but he saw it coming. He gripped my fist and turned me around, restraining me so I couldn't attack him. He found amusement in stopping me quickly and I found him annoying. "See, you couldn't throw one punch."

He had some nerve talking to me like that. I don't know why he was bothering me. If he wanted to get under someone's skin he should go to Caroline. She won't get physical with him, but I've gotten physical with every boy in our group. All of them have not been able to win in the end because they get tired.

"Expect the unexpected, asshole," I said before kicking his shins. He pulled away giving me enough time to escape his hold. Before I could go in for another punch, Noah and Jason had walked in on the exchange and immediately interfered.

"Woah, woah, hey! What's going on?" Noah said, coming between us while Jason grabbed my fist and pulled me away.

"Just giving Madelyn some pointers--" Ethan teased and I tried to go after him again.

"Oh, I'm gonna--" I didn't get to finish my threat because Jason wrapped his arm around my waist and effortlessly picked me up. He pulled me away before I could finish what he started and maybe that was the best thing in the long run.

"It's not worth it, Maddie." He assured, glaring at his emotionless friend.

"That's right, Maddie. Have your boyfriend save the day again." Ethan shouted as Jason pulled me out of the room and Noah stood in front of Ethan to try to shut him up.

I angrily took off my gloves and threw them on the table. I ran my fingers through my hair while Jason watched me with a slight smile. "I can't stand him!" I complained. "I mean, someone's got to fight him or knock his teeth in. Why can't it be me?" Jason chuckled.

"Because I don't think the way we're going to win Ethan over is by fighting him. And I think it has to either be Tyler or Danielle." My face changed into an obvious dirty look and he seemed to think it was cute.

"Why them? It took all of us to get Danielle's emotions back."

"No, it took Tyler going AWOL on our plan and almost killing Ethan. You do know why he did that, right?"

"No, why?" I asked, taking a sip of my water.

"Because he would rather Danielle hate him than Ethan, and I think that's the most selfless thing he's ever done." I sighed and shook my head. This was annoying and I hated the way Ethan was acting right now.

"But why can't we all just kick his ass and then he'll be okay?"

"Because he's not going to come back because of us--"

"But we're his friends, Jason! How do we not have any sort of emotional attachment to him?" Caroline asked in impatience. I looked over at her. She said the same thing I was thinking.