PTSD

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Definition: Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a psychiatric disorder that can occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event such as a natural disaster, a serious accident, a terrorist act, war/combat, rape or other violent personal assault.

Explanation: PTSD is a disorder that can be developed in people who experience a traumatic event. now, keep in mind that this is not the type of disorder that everyone experiences. researches have shown that approximately, 7 to 8 million adults have PTSD every year. So, even though it is a big number, it's still less compared the world population which is 7.594 billion as of 2018. Thats approximately, 0.092% adults worldwide get PTSD every year. People that experience sexual assault, child abuse or a more violent trauma are most like to develop PTSD than people who experience traumas such as accidents or environmental disasters.

People with PTSD have intense, disturbing thoughts and feelings related to their experience that last long after the traumatic event has ended. They may relive the event through flashbacks or nightmares; they may feel sadness, fear or anger; and they may feel detached or estranged from other people. People with PTSD may avoid situations or people that remind them of the traumatic event, and they may have strong negative reactions to something as ordinary as a loud noise or an accidental touch.

Symptoms: The symptoms of this disorder are as follows:

1. Disruptive memories:
❧ Unwanted memories of the tragic event.
❧ Flashbacks or Feeling like the trauma is re-occuring.
❧Nightmares regarding the event.
❧Emotional distress.

2. Avoidance:
❧ Avoiding places, activities or people that remind of the event.
❧ Avoiding to talk about the event.

3. Changes is Thinking & Mood:
❦︎ Negative thoughts about oneself.
❦︎Hopelessness.
❦︎Forgetting the important aspects of the trauma.
❦︎Feeling emotionally numb and detached from other people.
❦︎Lack of interest in life and daily activities.

4. Physical and emotional changes:
❦︎Getting easily frightened or scared.
❦︎Always on guard for danger.
❦︎Insomnia.
❦︎Hypersomnia.
❦︎Trouble concentrating.
❦︎Short temper.
❦︎Guilt or shame.
❦︎Self-destructive behaviour.

❥︎Symptoms in children:
1. Re-enacting some of the aspects of the events of the tragic event.
2. Nightmares that may or may not include aspects of the event.

Treatment: A person who is suffering from this disorder should do the following:
1. Consult a doctor, or a mental health professional.
2. Reach out to a close friend or loved one who understands you.

Importance of PTSD treatment:
Many people are unaware of the fact that, if this disorder is left untreated, it could put a devastating effect on both the victims and their loved ones. It not only triggers emotional problems, but also triggers health problems over time. PTSD affects people of all ages even the health of an unborn baby if the mother is under constant stress and anxiety.

___ {478 words}

A/N: How was this?
Should I make chapters on other disorders too? Also, constructive criticism is always open.

To whoever reads this, (not much chances):
Please note that this is my hardwork and not a copied article. I did all the work. That includes the maths and the postulates. However, I do not deny that I did take help from many articles.

Thank you.
Much love
God bless
Xx