⁰³ beautiful stranger

❝ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲,

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ beautiful stranger...

"Oh!" Sylvia exclaimed, blinking at the boy. "Hello," she said through a thick, French accent, gulping as the boy looked back at her.

"Hi," the boy said, grinning at the girl. "I don't mean to intrude. I'm not sure if you noticed, but–" the boy paused, opening his clenched fist– "I believe this may be yours."

Sylvia's eyes widened. In the boy's hand was a silver brooch, sapphires lining its wiry frame – the mark of a Beauxbatons girl. She looked down at her chest, and surely enough, only a piece of string hung from the breast pocket where her brooch had been pinned. Sylvia cursed herself. She knew she had done something impossibly wrong to have attracted this boy's attention: how could it be that he had any interest in her?

Though she did not realize it, Sylvia had stared wordlessly at the brooch for an awkward amount of time. The boy shifted, laughing awkwardly. Quickly, Fleur jumped to the rescue.

"Hello!" She said, her accent far more relatable to the English boy. "Excuse my friend. We had a long journey here! She couldn't sleep a wink. Isn't that right, Sylvia?"

Sylvia stirred from her silence, looking up at the boy.

"Your name is Sylvia?" he asked, brushing his hair back with his fingers.

Sylvia smiled. "Yes," she said, plucking the brooch from the boy's hand. "Comment– uh... Your name?"

"She wants to know your name!" Fleur chimed in, the boy laughing as she grinned proudly at her aid.

"Cedric Diggory," said the boy, placing his empty hand against his chest. "It's a pleasure to host your school here at Hogwarts," Cedric finished, grinning a toothy smile at the sheepish Laurent girl.

There was a brief silence between them as Sylvia tried to translate his words in her mind. Happily, Fleur intervened again.

"Well, Maribelle! I suddenly feel winded from all the festivities of the feast," Fleur said, clutching her stomach and feigning a pained groan.

"Tell me about it," Maribelle said, her face pale and miserable.

"I'm very sorry, Sylvia, but Maribelle and I don't feel well enough to explore with you," Fleur said with a smile, linking elbows with Maribelle. "Perhaps Cedric can show you around!"

Sylvia shot up, her cheeks pink. However, before she could protest, the Diggory boy spoke.

"It would be an honor!" Cedric exclaimed, straightening out with a smile. "It is my duty as a prefect to be accommodating–" he paused, tapping his nail on a glimmering badge affixed to his robes– "of course, only if you would like to."