CHAPTER 8: MAEVE CHEM 6:03 am 10/4/21

I narrowly missed getting hit by a car as I was on my morning run. I should probably stop blasting my AirPods, one, I might go deaf, and two I've almost got run over by a car or truck at least six times. 

I was deep in thought about my Halloween costumes with E this year. We have always matched ever since the eighth grade when we went together as Shrek and the Donkey, I was Shrek of course but this year I was stumped. I usually have the best ideas for our costumes but so much has changed in the past year I haven't really had time to think about it. I checked the time and realized that I should probably start heading back home to shower. 

On my way back, I passed by Adonis taking out the trash. I smiled but he just kept a blank face and nodded. That was weird, he usually smiles back or at least waves. Something must be up. Was it because of the way I acted last night? I felt awful. Since when did Adonis take things personally? This was strange, why was everyone acting so weird these days? First with Mason, and E, and now Adonis. Whatever it was that was happening I had to figure it out. I headed back home, took a quick shower and went to school. I usually take the bus with Adonis but he wasn't at the stop, so I went without him.

Beaconsfield Secondary School was already decorated to the tee with those stupid stickers and signs for Halloween. Geez, it's only the beginning of October. The school is pretty normal-sized, I would say, only just over a thousand kids so I'm pretty sure almost everyone knows everyone. Which can be both a blessing and a curse. 

I headed to my first class, and thankfully Adonis wasn't in it. I took my usual seat beside Payton and got ready for the lesson. I don't want to sound like those people, but I actually really enjoy school. The teachers are engaging and every lesson leaves me feeling like I've gained something, like an extra bit of armour to protect myself. I know that probably sounds weird, but it's true. Although I'm sure school would be a lot more fun with Mason by my side.