vii. taking the midnight train going anywhere

ANDROMEDA

At Percy's words, Andi lifted her head off of Cass's shoulder and took a peek out the nearest window. If she craned her head just right, she could see the black helicopter following them overhead. It looked near-identical to the one that had come for them at Westover Hall. Andi wondered if Thorn himself was lurking inside, or if it was manned solely by mortal mercenaries willing to hand over a bunch of kids to monsters for a paycheck.

"They know the van," Percy said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoë's grip on the steering wheel tightened as she swerved into the fast lane. It was no use. The helicopter was gaining on them.

Grover, ever the optimist, suggested, "Maybe the military will shoot it down."

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy pointed out. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries," Zoë spat, resentment dripping from her words like acid. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

Percy knitted his brow in confusion. "But don't these mortals see who they're working for? Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

Zoë shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

Andi grimaced. She was fully aware of how awful humanity could be. She'd seen some of it firsthand. It was almost funny, the lows people would stoop to just to get ahead in life all without getting off their high horses. They'd stab you in the back and claim they were doing what was best for you. They'd leave you to rot and say you'd understand when you were older. Andi hoped and prayed she would never understand. 

There is nothing justifiable about abusing a child.

Cass seemed to know where Andi's mind had gone because her face had softened and she'd taken to rubbing Andi's back gently. Of course, Cass knew. She always knew. Cass was so good with people, so in tune with others' emotions. Andi wished she could be like that. She wished she always knew the right thing to say and could make friends as easily as breathing, but it just wasn't like that for her. Where Cass saw windows, Andi saw doors.

Some doors were easier to open than others. Some, all she had to do was knock. Others were barricaded with furniture or riddled with locks and she could never be sure who put the barriers in place — her, or the person on the other side. Some doors had peepholes and some doors were boarded shut entirely. On rare occasions, occasions like Carol and Dinah, the doors were wide open and she could waltz right in, but she'd always find herself hovering in the doorway until she was sure the floorboards wouldn't give out underneath her.

In other words, Cass was an extrovert, and Andi was an introvert.

When Andi tuned back into reality after successfully talking herself out of a panic attack, she realized Thalia was praying.

"Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

Shockingly, nothing happened. 

"There!" Bianca exclaimed, pointing at something up ahead. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoë protested.

Bianca smiled confidently. It looked good on her. "Trust me." 

That was enough to get Zoë to shoot across two lanes of traffic. She turned into a mall parking lot and came to a screeching halt between a minivan and a red coupe. The Dream Team quickly hopped out of the van and Bianca took the lead, directing them down some steps.