Chapter Thirty Five

"Ammi, look. Uncle Hamza wrote a poem for me." Bushra got my attention when I was serving our guests.

I quirked my brows at him. He winked at her and she giggled.

"That's fascinating. I'm sure that Uncle Hamza would have no problem in entertaining us with his poetry reading. I would love to hear what he wrote for you." I placed the tray on the table.

"I.." He hesitated.

"What happened? Isn't it original enough?" I asked, teasing him.

He cleared his throat, "Judgemental, aren't you?"

"No. Please go ahead." I raised my hands in defense.

He closed his eyes.
"I met a girl with a sweet face. It was on one of those busy days.
Our silence had enveloped both of us in a shell.
We were two strangers who didn't know each other so well.
Her eyes held confusion, her lips were pursed.
It took us some time to get along and well versed.
Gone were the momentary awkwardness and gawking.
We weren't aware when we had actually begun talking.
The more we conversed, From it I realised.
If there's anything pure in this world then that is your laughter.
It could make anyone's day exuberant and alot more brighter.
It's as sweet as that twinkling in your eyes.
With your lips stretched upwardly in that adorable and lovely smile.
Even when your kindness and compassion was all you gave.
I wanted nothing except for your presence which I now desperately crave.
I have already missed your existence from the last few years.
Let's start this friendship with only joy and without any tears." His melodious voice had us all enthralled.

When he finished his recitation, his orbs met mine.

I couldn't help but smile.

Everybody applauded including Bushra. The happiness on her face had my heart.

I clapped too while mouthing a quick thank you.

Lastly, everybody called it a night except for Nida, Chhavi, Gaurav and Hamza.

They stayed back to help us tidy the place.

"I don't want to pry but who is this guy?" Chhavi whispered while we were cleaning the dishes.

"He's a friend from my hometown Adilabad." I told her.

She nodded, "He's very handsome." She winked at me.

I cocked my eyebrows at her.

What was she playing at?

"Don't get me wrong. I love my husband alot and no man can replace him but that man is..." She eyed Hamza who was looking after Gaurav and Bushra, "He's package and I saw the way he looks at you." She paused.

I gaped at her in disbelief.

"I'm married." I reminded her, "And you probably misread things. We're friends and we respect each other." I admonished her.

She fell silent for a moment but eventually reached out to me, "Rabia, I'm sorry. I was just saying what I felt. Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't mean any harm. Our friendship is really important to me too. Please forgive me. It's just that I saw a different Rabia tonight. A happy Rabia but I agree, it's wrong to think like that. Forgive me." She apologized, squeezing my hand.

"I know and it's okay Chhavi but I can't think of any man let alone Hamza no matter how great he is. My priority is my daughter and her good upbringing only." I said and she nodded.

We cleared all the mess quickly  before it got too late.

"You look exhausted." Hamza told me once Nida and Chhavi had taken their leave.