Chapter Two: Sixth Bulb and Sentinels (Part 1/3)

Just as all friends were once strangers, the abilities, until discovered, were unknown to us.

Satisfied, Cadin shifted out of his crouch, then hopped back to one of the earlier boxes nearer to the railing next to his slit lookout. Don’t want to surprise him by dropping straight down on him, thought Cadin. Then, holding the obsidian bar, he swung slightly out, then back in, released his grip, and landed on the second level. Once more and he was on the stone floor of Growing Room One, just around the scaffolding from the space in between where the workers addressed the plant.

Cadin closed his eyes, considering the darkness on the inside of his eyelids. It was a darkness crowded with colored shadows from his just-viewed ground-floor vantage point of Growing Room One. The layered stacks of obsidian blocks, with leaves of turma plants peeking out, rose to the small cavern’s stone ceiling.

Eyes still closed, Cadin freed Retain. The after-images behind his eyelids sharpened. It was the only way Cadin knew to ensure the ability was working. Now he would be able to Reflect on his upcoming conversation with the worker. Every sensory detail of it. When combined with Heighten it was quite useful. Mix had nearly wet his pants when Cadin shared the discovery about two years before. 

Cadin poked his head around the corner of the obsidian block, eyeing the worker. He appeared like any other. Play gray uniform. Trousers down to his ankles, unlike Cadin’s, which cut loosely at the shins. Utility belt tied to his waist by a small flax rope. Arms thin as an energy cell. Hairless.

What are you doing here so late?, thought Cadin. Maybe the worker was curious about how quickly the bulbs were growing; the plants had made a big turnaround since Director Dimas took over from Director Leber. Cadin frowned at the thought of Leber’s fate—he stepped to his death in the Abyss. Defying the Rahz is a dangerous game, thought Cadin. 

“Growing fast, aren’t they?” said Cadin, approaching the worker, who he now noticed was probably around his age. 

The worker looked startled. He probably thought he was alone.

“Why are you here late?” asked the worker, starting to stow his tools into his utility belt. And who are you?

“I’m new, so I was a little slower today,” said Cadin, noting there was one tool he didn’t recognize.   

“Really, wasn’t your training sufficient?” And what is that you are wearing on your face, and your arm? And why is your uniform different?, thought the worker. 

Cadin couldn’t read the worker’s thoughts, but sensed his discomfort. If nothing else, he imagined the worker might find his beard intimidating. His slate-colored shirt and trousers were to better blend with the darkness and chasm walls. “I think I’ll learn fast. But maybe they will give me a new uniform tomorrow?” Cadin laughed to diffuse the tension.

“Perhaps you can get a new one back at the Workers’ Quarters.”

“Sure,” said Cadin. “So, what was it you were looking at?”

Having put away his tools, the worker started to turn away. “I think I should be going.” 

“It’s okay,” said Cadin quickly, “I’m not a director in disguise. I’m curious, too.” 

I should be going, thought the worker. But this man said he is also curious. That is what I am, too, although I could not describe the feeling moments ago. The worker turned back to face Cadin, “I must show you fast. The lights will turn off soon.”