Chapter 5 ~Growing Friendship~

"Hey Yuki, look at this!"

"Huh-Wha! That's mean Sakura!" Yuki complained about the leaves sticking in her hair. The culprit giggled and only threw more leaves at her friend. Yuki instead fought back with her own bundle and chased after Sakura. 

Kaien watched the two girls with a smile as they giggled and threw leaves at each other. They had grown close through the past months that Yuki had been with them. The sun had started to set and it cast a golden glow over the Fall day. The girls wanted to play with the leaves outside so naturally, Kaien followed them with his camera. 

"Papa, what are you doing?" Sakura ran up beside Kaien. She started to use him as a shield from Yuki's leaves, resulting in getting leaves all over him instead. 

"I'm taking pictures of my wonderful daughters~" True to his word, Kaien took pictures as he answered.

"Sakura that's not fair, no shields!"

Sakura laughed at Yuki's pout and pulled herself out from behind Kaien. She and Yuki stared one another down for a few moments, but it seemed like they had a silent conversation. Sakura stepped in front of Kaien with a closed-eye smile and Yuki did the same from behind her. "Hey Papa, guess what. We've got a surprise for you!"

Kaien took a picture of the two before lowering his camera in curiosity. Before he could ask what the surprise was, Yuki and Sakura took each of his hands and pulled him to the leaf-covered ground.  Their laughter filled the air as well as the leaves being thrown at each other. The three ended up staying outside until nightfall but once the sun had completely set, Kaien brought them all inside.

Sakura started to braid Yuki's long hair while Kaien made them supper. As she did so, she let her mind wander to the nightmares she's been having recently. She couldn't remember them all too clearly. It was always dark and she was being chased, that she knew. For the past few nights that same nightmare would visit her, and the feeling of dread and unparalleled fear remained for many hours after she would wake up. Thinking about the eyes she saw in all the nightmares was enough to make a shiver run down her spine. Before she could dwell on it for too long the doorbell rang and pulled her mind back to the present. "I'll get it, Papa." 

She set down Yuki's finished braid and ran to answer the door. Once she opened the door a pair of ruby eyes greeted her.  She smiled in joy once she saw who it was. "Kaname! I didn't know you were coming."

Kaname gently smiled back at her before ruffling her white hair. "Hello, Sakura. I came to visit you and Yuki."

That made Sakura's smile widen. "Yuki's going to be so happy to see you!" She grabbed Kaname's hand before skipping happily towards the kitchen. "Yuki, guess who's here to visit." Once they came into view of Yuki, Sakura let go of Kaname's hand and stepped aside. 

Yuki's brown rubies widened and she ran towards Kaname, engulfing him in a hug. "Kaname!" He hugged her back gently.

"I'm glad you could make it, I was starting to think you wouldn't be in time for supper." Kaien greeted him. He set the food down on the table and invited everyone to sit down.

"Papa, you knew he was coming? Why didn't you tell us?" Sakura asked as she and the others sat in the chairs.

Kaien gave a gleaming smile while dishing his own plate. "Of course I knew, I invited him to come visit you two.  And it wouldn't be a surprise if you knew~"

Yuki and Sakura beamed. They were happy Kaname came to visit. He had come to visit more often ever since Yuki got sick with the fever. Yuki got to see Kaname more and Sakura got to talk to him more. She really liked it when he came to visit, there was something about him. He was kind to her and Yuki.  She couldn't quite put her finger on what it was about him, but he was a mystery and she loved solving mysteries. Besides, with him visiting so often she could make sure she would fulfill her promise. While she sat there at the table, she took notice of Yuki and Kaname's eyes. Yet it was true that they were very similar, but Yuki's was more of a lighter brown. Yuki's eyes looked closer to a honey brown mixed with ruby red. Though Kaname's eyes were the definition of rubies. That's so cool!