This is the Prologue

𝓢𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓮𝓽 𝓓𝓪𝔃𝓮

✲✲✲

"I like her accent, let's keep her."

✲✲✲

Alaska didn't understand many things and her parents were one of them. Maybe it was the way they treated her like the scum they stepped on. As long as she could remember, they made sure she knew that they didn't love her. She would come home from school to find them drugged out on whatever new substance they were into that week.

Her father was the one that liked to hit her. By the time she was in high school, she started having to come up with new excuses as to why she had so many bruises. She didn't want to protect them. No, that wasn't why she lied. She lied because this was a matter of life and death.

"You tell anyone and you're dead."

This was what her father would tell her right when he was done with her. Every single fucking time. Her mom didn't do anything to stop him either. 

"You deserve it."

Fuck, they were made for each other. Sometimes she wondered what it was like to have parents that actually cared for her. She would spend time with her friends at their houses when she needed a getaway only to see that they had it so much better.

It wasn't until her dad beat her so much that she had to go to the hospital that she knew she needed to get out. Not just get out of that fucking town but to get away from them. At this point, if she stayed any longer she would wind up dead before she was able to do anything with her life. She didn't open up to anyone about her family besides her most trusted friend, Sammy.

"Why don't you save up money to move as far away as you can?"

"I've always wanted to go to New York," Alaska sniffled in response.

New York was where all dreams came true. At least, that's what she thought. She only managed to get into a few fashion shows with her hopes to become a stylist. Finally, during one show, she was spotted by Yana Davis' manager. Yana Davis was one of the most famous models in New York. She had been to every fashion week across the world and when she was offered a job as her stylist she thought she had finally done it.

That was until she got some bad news. Her grandmother, the one person that truly believed in her, had passed away. It was like her whole world shattered. She had to return home after the first fashion show with Yana she attended. She had done amazingly and it was all flushed away. It didn't help that her parents dragged her down yet again when she had to go back home. Even though she tried everything to avoid them, they showed up at the funeral.

"You thought you could run away from us, huh?" Her dad asked with an evil smirk as the two dragged her home.

"She really thought she would make it in New York," Her mom said with a dark laugh.

"It wasn't like that-"

"It was," Her dad seethed as he pushed her inside, "You're gonna give us some of that money you've been hiding from us."

"You're out of your fucking minds," Alaska said, but immediately regretted it.

Her mom rose her eyebrows out of amusement and reached over to press the lit end of her finished cigarette to Alaska's arm. She screamed out in pain, trying to yank her arm away but her father held it in place with an iron grip.

"We're the ones out of our fucking minds," He questioned with a mad grin, one that resembled that of the joker's.

After that, Alaska received one of the most brutal beatings of her life. Somehow she managed to get away and return to New York, but that day changed her. Not only was she grieving for her grandmother, but she was broken. She wished they didn't get that out of her, but they did. They tore her down and stripped away any confidence she had managed to build up when she left. 

It would take a miracle for someone to change that.