The Power of the Pack

Spottedpaw awakened at dusk. She opened her eyes and got to her paws. She stretched; then she trotted to Spider, who was curled up near her. He was still asleep. Spottedpaw nudged him with her paw and said, ''it's time to wake up, Spider.''

Spider opened his eyes and got to his paws. Then, Spottedpaw stepped back a few times, trying to give him room to stretch; then she bumped into someone. She looked to see that it was Fireeyes; she jumped away from him and said, ''sorry.''

''It's fine,'' said Fireeyes. ''The shelter seems to be getting smaller, or maybe I'm just insane. We barely have any space.''

As the young diswus grew, the shelter began to feel cramped. The diswus had just enough space to sleep, at least, if the all curled up.

Then, Spottedpaw heard squeaking and squealing. She gasped and looked at Leafy. Leafy had been pregnant before; she had had her kits. She had three once again. She was curled around them; the only part of them Spottedpaw could see were their backs.

''We definitely need to make another shelter,'' said Talonface, who had stood on the other side of the shelter, gazing at them.

''Well, as you diswus may know,'' said Spottedpaw. ''Today is a special day for us.''

''Is it the day you'll be leaving to attack the BushPack?'' said Night, peaking over Vine's back.''

''Yes,'' said Spottedpaw. ''Talonface, Vine, and of course, Leafy, you'll be staying with the kits. Everyone else will come with me to fight.''

The battlers carefully went around the diswus who were staying; then they rushed out of the mainhome. Then they charged down the hill.

For fifteen minutes they ran; then they lifted into the air and flew. The wind beat Spottedpaw's face as she flew up into the air.

It took them five more minutes to get to the forestside. Then they kept flying over the forest. Extremely far ahead, Spottedpaw could see the creek that ran by her old mainhome, but she could not see the mainhome itself. It was too far to see.

A little more than thirty minutes later, they were flying over the mainhome that the BushPack had seized. Spottedpaw cried, ''there it is!''

The diswus curved their bodies downward, flapped hard; then they dived down at a high speed. The wind flattened Spottedpaw's ears against her head and made her wings and tail webs tremble. They were going so fast that it was difficult for Spottedpaw to breathe.

For two minutes, the attacking diswus dived; when they pass the tops of the cliff walls of the mainhome, they swooped; then they fell down on the BushPack diswus that were getting ready for them. The diswus that they landed upon fell under their weight.

Spottedpaw got off her opponent and grabbed his front paw with both paws. The BushPack diswu pulled her paw out of her grip and got to her paws. Then she bit Spottedpaw's ear. Spottedpaw pulled her ear out of the BushPack diswus' grip and dived under her opponent, stretching her belly with both front paws. The BushPack diswu expected her to come up from behind her, but Spottedpaw slipped out the way she came and clawed her opponent's left ear. The BushPack diswu fled and disappeared into the fight. Spottedpaw's next opponent was much more difficult to fight.

As soon as Spottedpaw whirled around, a diswu bit her ear. When Spottedpaw pulled out of their grip, the enemy ran behind her and pushed her hind leg from under her. Spottedpaw stumbled, but she did not fall. The diswu leapt onto her back; Spottedpaw fell under him. She slipped from under him and leapt over a couple other tumbling diswus. Then she saw that most of her diswus were losing their fights. She didn't want them to get too hurt.