Chapter 26 || We Meet Again

ANNABETH CHASE

Percy chugged another glass of liquor and Annabeth slammed her rum down on the table, concerned. He was drinking way too much.

"Whoa, man..."

"Percy," she said, walking over.

Something cleared in his murky eyes and a small light glimmered in them.

"Annabeth?" he whispered in a small voice as she walked forward.

"Come on, Seaweed Brain," she sighed, pulling him out of the bar, throwing the money to the bartender, who was staring in surprise.

He groaned before Annabeth slammed him against the wall outside the bar, scaring him out of his drinking stage.

"Percy, you're not supposed to drink this much! It's bad to drink! As much as it clears the pain, if you let your sadness take over your life through alcohol, you'll become another Gabe!"

At the mention of Gabe's name and alcohol, tears began to form in his sea-green eyes. Annabeth's eyes widened as she realized what was about to happen.

"No..." she whispered, "Don't cry, Percy..."

She wiped the tears away from his eyes and they looked up at her like an innocent baby seal. A wounded baby seal.

"You told me to..." he whispered, "I dumped Renee and it hurts, Wise Girl... I need to get away--"

"By talking to people. Not alcohol."

Percy seemed to register this and she grabbed his arm.

"Promise me you'll never go to a bar to drink when you're sad?" Annabeth said when they reached my apartment.

"But--"

"Percy," it was her turn to cry, "I can't stand seeing you like this. Stop. Talk to someone. Just speak one word and we'll be there for you. You need to understand there are people who actually care about you."

He stared at her before nodding.

"I swear on the River Styx," he said sloppily before slumping down on her.

Annabeth got him into her bedroom and helped him down on the bed, his eyes fluttering, ready to close.

"I'm sorry," he whispered to her when she turned to grab a blanket.

She walked over to his side and he took her hand, clarity showing in his sea-green eyes.

"I'm sorry for making you unhappy, Wise Girl. I won't do it again. Promise."

He looked like a five-year-old while his mother tucked him to sleep. Annabeth took his hand.

"Good. I accept that apology," she said when Percy finally fell asleep.

She grabbed a blanket and put it over Percy. And she couldn't help herself as she kissed his forehead. Getting down on the bed next to him--she wasn't about to sleep on the floor--he wrapped his arm around her subconsciously and pulled her closer to him. Annabeth smiled at how cute and peaceful he looked when he was sleeping. So she rested her head on his chest. She tried to get up so she could get something, but Percy's grip tightened.

"Annabeth," he mumbled deliriously.

The moment Annabeth relaxed, a content grin spread over his face before it disappeared.

"Annabeth?" she heard a call and the door opened, revealing Mary. "Who's the hottie?"

Her mouth was dangling open, a small drop of drool dripping onto her shirt.

"Sh," she whispered, "He's asleep."

Mary shrugged, closing the door. So Annabeth cherished the moment. She felt guilty for sorta taking advantage of him while he was drunk, but it was the only time she could finally get as close as she was to him tonight. So she closed her eyes, stroking his black hair before she, too, fell asleep.

PERCY JACKSON

Percy woke up, feeling like she had just drank a vat of Dionysus's wine. He groaned and saw Annabeth next to him with some Advil and a glass of water.

"Here," she said.

Annabeth? What was she doing here? The events of last night flooded into his mind and his eyes widened.

"I should go," he said hurriedly, trying to get off the bed.

"No," Annabeth refused and Percy stared at her in shock. "You need to take this Advil or I'm going to stomp your cute little face to the curb."

He gave her his baby seal eyes.

"Even your baby seal eyes," she said, fighting a smile. "Percy, you're staying for another week in Boston, right?"

Pausing, he turned to face her.

"Yeah... why?"

"Well..." she looked away, "It's okay if you say no... but I was wondering if we could hang out? You know... catch up?"

He winced as memories of Renee crashed down on him. Annabeth. The girl he actually genuinely liked in high school was now probably off with some other guy she loved more. Percy was just a burden to her. He had literally stumbled into her apartment, drunk, with her taking care of him.

Weak, a voice in my mind said and he felt his breathing start to pick up.

Pointless... a voice said again, You're going to fail... No one loves you... You ARE a burden...

"Percy?" Annabeth asked, but her voice was faint.

She must've realized he was having a panic attack because she grabbed him, shaking him a couple of times.

"Percy snap out of it!" she exclaimed and Percy stopped, staring at her.

"Sorry," he pulled away quickly, "I just... had some things that--"

"I know you're hurting because of Renee," Annabeth sighed, a stern gaze fixed at him. "And there's no better way to say this, Percy... but you're done. You guys are over each other. No way to bend reality. The more you try to run from it, the harsher the footsteps come. Just accept it. Cry all you want. Then, live."

"A lot of talk coming from a girl who's never dated," he said, a smile returning to his face.

"True," Annabeth shrugged, "But because you're such a stubborn seaweed brain, I'm gonna try and help you. If you don't listen..."

"Fine," Percy rolled his eyes, smiling.

Annabeth stared deep into his eyes, her beautiful gray eyes glinting in the sunlight.

"Listen," she said, "Just listen to everything you can focus on right now. Close your eyes."

He closed them and he could feel her hands running down his face, through his hair, soothing him. The cars beeping below were like bliss to his ears as the sound of rain thumping against the window gave him goosebumps. Good goosebumps. Percy could practically hear Annabeth's light breathing whistling through the air.

"Now open them and face me."