One

August

Nerves.

They can be energetic for many reasons. Anxiety, excitement, fear, anticipation of what's to come.

I'm a combination of all these emotions.

You'd think I'd be comfortable returning to my job at Ben's Book Barn. I've worked there for three years.

Well... not exactly three years.

I remove the keys from the ignition, jiggling them in my hand.

Attending university took a sizeable chunk out of my time. Courses were online for the past year, but the coursework load was too much to balance between studies and a job. Ever since September, I've been home with my parents. During my final year at university, I wanted to focus on my studies.

It paid off.

Now, I can flash my degree in geography whenever I please. I enjoyed school but it'll be nice to return to work. I've missed my coworkers—my friends. Falling back into my old routine will be nice, too.

After parking, I step out of my vehicle, locking it. The sun hasn't risen over the mountains yet. There's still an orangish glow bracketing the erect mountains. The air is cool, smelling of heated pavement and last night's downpour. Traffic is limited on the highway.

I pocket my keys and head for the building. Gravel crunches beneath my shoes. A breeze tickles the stubble on my jaw. Walking across a semi-deserted parking lot feels surreal. As if the rest of the world doesn't exist. As if this is a moment frozen in time. It's just me and my emotions.

Each step amplifies my nerves. Returning to a familiar crowd? I'm okay with that. Maintaining a role I know how to play? That's fine, too. Those questions have answers.

Wondering if I'll see that girl again? With her brown hair and rose-gold circular glasses...

My curiosity is the culprit of my nerves.

I want to see her again. Long ago, I should've worked up the courage to ask her out, with our stolen glances and exchanged blushes at the cash register. Butterflies flutter against the lining of my stomach. Part of me hopes she'll show up today and sit down in the reading nook.

All I need is a chance. A chance to talk to her somewhere other than the cash register.

Pulling the door open, I step into the store. My shoes touch the sand-coloured hardwood as the door closes behind me. Immediately, I'm overwhelmed by the scent of coffee and books. Ink and paper with a hint of vanilla. Our manager, Vanessa, always lights that vanilla candle. It makes me feel warm inside.

I run a hand through my hair, allowing a small smile to pinch my lips to the side. I guess some things never change.

"Auggie!"

Isabelle, being the whirlwind she is, collides with me. She tosses her arms around my shoulders and pulls me into a hug. Her pixie-like figure should have nothing on me, but she causes me to stumble.

"Isabelle," I say, hugging her back. Her black hair smells like strawberries. A sense of familiarity washes over me. "It's been a long time."

Isabelle steps back, smacking me in the arm. She attempts to furrow her brows. It doesn't work. "Too long! I'm mad at you. We missed working with you!"

I roll my eyes, glancing at the displays. They hold bestsellers and staff picks. After my shift, I may have to indulge in some books. It'd be a great way to kick off my return to my summer job; familiarize myself with what's trending today. Recommending books to customers is my favourite part—aside from our daily indulgence in Tim Hortons.