(4) He's a Wolf and I'm His Prey

CHAPTER 4
He's a Wolf and I'm His Prey

The following Monday morning, I decided to go and check back on my coffee jar, even though I didn’t feel like it.

Sitting down on the rocks, I carefully opened the jar and took out the new letter inside. Three sticky toffee papers were stuck to the note. Yuk! I peeled them off to read the note underneath the sticky brown stains.

Dear Lexi,
                It sounds like we have like, two things in common. I like dogs and I prefer winter over summer. Oh, I can cook pretty well, so I guess that’s three things.
You actually sound cute. I like short girls. You’d fit nicely under my arm.
I have brown hair, grey eyes, 6’0” tall, and extremely handsome.

Danny.

P.S. I don’t like toffee. Bring humbugs next time.

I grinned devilishly. Oh, I had something much better than humbugs this time.

I picked out some paper and wrote my reply, though I didn’t really know what to reply to that.

Dear Danny,
                    What do you like to cook? And thanks for the compliments. I obviously don’t need to compliment you back because you already did that yourself, and it sounds like your ego is big enough as it is.
I’m afraid I don’t have any humbugs, but I do have these mints. They’re second best to humbugs. Enjoy.

Yours,
Alexis.

I dropped in three mint laxatives that looked exactly like sweets and laughed evilly as I screwed the lid back on the jar.

Let’s see what he has to say about that!

________________________________________________________________________________

When I returned home, mum and dad were getting ready to go out.

“Where are you two going?”

“Shopping. You have to stay here and listen for the postman. We’re expecting a parcel,” mum said as she attempted to do up here watch.

I slapped away her hands and did it up for her. “Where’s Eliott?”

She rolled her eyes. “Still in bed, of course. Why were you up so early anyway?”

“Wasn’t tired. What time will you be back?”

“Should be back before you go to kickboxing club,” she responded, grinning.

I groaned. “No, I’m not going back,” I said stubbornly. “Never again.”

Mum scrunched her eyebrows together and frowned. “Why not? I thought you liked it there.”

I shook my head. “I never said I did. It’s embarrassing and I’m the only girl,” I replied, choosing my words carefully in case I let something slip that I shouldn’t.

“Well that’s okay. Are there any handsome young suitors there for you?” she asked, smiling mischievously and bumping her hip into mine, sending me stumbling into the wall.

I rubbed my shoulder where it’d met the wall and grimaced. “No,” I said moodily. How did she always manage to dig in precisely the right place?

She gasped. “There is! What’s he like?”

Great.

“There’s nobody. I’m not going back. And oh look, there’s dad waiting to go. Goodbye!” I said in a rush, pushing my way past her.