attacked

in which lexie is attacked by a patient

Lexie should never have turned her back to that patient.

To be fair, she hadn't known that he was deranged. Nobody had. However, that did not help ease Lexie's regret.

She only had her back turned for less than a minute. Lexie was busying herself with organizing the medicines on the tray so that they wouldn't mix it up later. However, that cost her.

The next thing Lexie knew, she was up against the wall, gasping for air. There was a pair of hands tightly wrapped around her neck, cutting off all air supply. She wheezed and clawed at the unhinged patient in front of her, gasping for air when he finally let go.

"You killed her," the patient sneered, bending down to pick Lexie up again. "You killed my daughter."

Lexie hadn't a single idea what the patient was talking about. She only knew that if she did not leave, things were about to become much worse. However, she could do nothing about being held in a chokehold by someone much stronger than her. All she could do was put up a futile struggle.

"L-let me go," she rasped out, her tone pleading. "Please--"

"Shut up. You don't deserve to live. You killed her." He threw her against the wall violently. Lexie could have sworn she heard a loud crack before blows started raining relentlessly down on her. Not having the energy to scream, Lexie could only moan in pain, desperately hoping for somebody to save her.

After what felt like an eternity, the punches ceased. A familiar voice demanded somebody to bring them a gurney. Lexie wanted to open her eyes to see who it was, but she was just so tired. Soon enough, she felt herself drifting from reality. The voices around her became nothing but senseless words floating about in her head as she slipped off into a state of unconsciousness.

"Come on, Lexie... stay with me," was the last thing Lexie heard before the darkness swallowed her whole.

***

Meredith Grey was not having a good day.

First of all, five minutes after she arrived at the hospital, somebody spilled coffee all over her. That would have been fine if the offender had not blamed it on her lack of awareness. He was the one who hadn't been looking at where he was going, and yet he dared to blame her.

Secondly, a patient had thrown a tantrum in front of Meredith earlier. Due to her little tantrum, the patient began to grow nauseous, throwing up all over Meredith, thereby forcing Meredith to change her clothes for the second time that day.

If things hadn't been bad enough for Meredith, Lexie had accidentally messed up one of her many paperwork. She'd spent ten minutes screaming at Lexie for that. She wasn't really mad at Lexie. Meredith simply needed a punching bag, and Lexie had unfortunately suffered the brunt of her frustration. Meredith had planned on finding Lexie and apologizing to her, but with all of the surgeries she had to attend to, it slipped her mind. She'd only remembered to do so after another four-hour-long surgery.

"Hey, have you seen Lexie?" Meredith asked Cristina, who had been talking to Owen.

"Three? I think she's still in her patients' room. Room 474, if I'm not wrong," Cristina replied before turning back to continue her conversation with Owen. Meredith didn't even bother thanking Cristina before making her way towards Room 474. Taking in a deep breath, Meredith pushed the door open.

"Hey, Lex--" she trailed off in shock as she took in the sight in front of her. Lexie was lying in a corner, battered and bruised, while a man in a hospital gown kicked her repeatedly. It took a while for Meredith to compose herself.