Chapter 7.) Temperance

"Morning, son," Bryson greeted, entering King's place. It was going on noon but Bryson felt like stopping by to check on King before he had to meet with his first client about a house.

When things transpired between King and Renae, Bryson decided not to choose sides or add any input unless asked otherwise. Yeah, he helped Renae move but when it came to choosing who was right or wrong, he wanted no parts and kept his thoughts, strictly to himself. He had his own issues going on. Trying to work things out with Lucy for the sake of Laiya, it was clear that they wouldn't work, especially since she was pressing to get Renae and Eve to talk their problems out.

That irritated Bryson and Lucy knew the reason behind Renae putting hands on Eve, but she felt that they needed to learn how to coexist. With that, Bryson and she came to common grounds and agreed to just co-parent.

"Sup," King gave a nod, leading him to his man cave.

"You want something to drink?" King asked, standing behind the bar he recently had built.

Bryson declined and sat down, "You're drinking?"

"I've been slowing down," King said, already knowing his thoughts.

"I didn't come to judge... let me apologize for that," Bryson started then paused, "How are you holding up?"

Sipping on his Ciroc, King walked around the bar and sat on the stool, "I miss her... but I heard she's dating some nigga named, Trent. I just know his ass a clown."

Bryson avoided looking at him, "I'm aware..."

King nodded, sipping again. Staring into the glass, he set it down and exhaled, "I still love her. I know what I did was fucked up and I tried to apologize for it... I just hate dat she barely likes talking to me."

"I can see that you still love her... I can't give you any advice other than to don't go off the deep end thinking it'll bring her back. Don't slip up one day or night and call her under the influence talking crazy or threatening her for trying to move on. Technically, you two are separated, so just think about how your actions would affect her if you revert. If you want to prove that you've changed, show it. I can't tell you how to do that but you should know."

King nodded understanding then cleared his throat, "Back then... I wanted to hurt her out of pettiness... and when I realized it was too late to stop, it fucked me up, man. I miss her... but I can't just sit here and let some goofy ass nigga take her from me. And why tha' hell Layton ass staying there? Dis nigga don't ever go back to Jamaica with tha' rest of tha' clan!"

Bryson exhaled, "One thing at a time, son. You wanna get her back but in the same breath, you flipped right into envy... you wanna be upset or get her back?"

King sucked his teeth, picking up his drink. "I'ma get her back and when I do, niggas gon' come up missing."

"Kingston,"

"Nah," King shook his head. "I appreciate dat nigga for looking after my family when I was there. But it's like dat nigga was waiting on an opportunity to get in... fuck me trying to change, I'ma handle dat ass."

"Lord," Bryson leaned into the cushion. "Just think this through and think about the people this could affect other than you."

King groaned, "How's lil LayLay?"

Bryson smiled, "She acts just like Zuri when she was little, it's so freaking crazy."

"Do you drop her off over there?"

Bryson nodded, "She loves her some Zuri and Zuri can't get enough of her, but her favorite person is Dante, I think we all knew that."

King chuckled, "Facts... bring her by if you don't mind."