Reunited

It was another lovely summer in Portorosso. A breeze swept through the twisted, sloped alleyways. The sun reflected off the calm sea causing it to sparkle. And the laughter of children could be heard as their barefeet slapped across the warm, brick pavement.

Alberto waited at the train station with his now-adopted father Massimo. His fingers were laced between eachother, fidgeting anxiously. The tension was building up to see his best friend's face again.

Alberto flinched upon feeling a massive hand gently gripped around his shoulder.

"Nervous?," Massimo asked with a sorrow look on his face.

"Yeah." Alberto bit his bottom lip. "This was his first year in school. What if he changed? What if school made him different?!"

Massimo looked up to give a big hefty chuckle that echoed in his throat. "My son, you two have been writing and chatting to each other on the phone everyday. You would know better than I if he has changed."

"I guess you're right," Alberto sighed.

"But I know how you feel. I too, used to get nervous waiting for Giulia's arrival after she was finished with schooling."

Alberto looked up at Massimo with a small smile, but was immediately distracted by the sound of a train whistle. "They're here!" Alberto ran to the edge of the platform.

Massimo immediately gripped the back of Alberto's shirt which swept him off his feet. "Careful, you'll get yourself hurt being so close to a moving train."

"Heh, right. Sorry." Alberto squinted in embarrassment.

The train hissed to a stop. The smell of fumes from the black smoke enclosed them. Alberto's nervousness was only heighten upon watching all the cars' doors slide open. His eyes swiped quickly across the trains exterior. Hoping to catch them first before they do.

After what felt like minutes of watching people head in and out he quickly locked eyes on the curly red and brown heads of two passengers.

"Look! That's them!" Alberto pointed before going into a sprint across the platform. Massimo followed behind in a much slower stumble.

"Luca!" Alberto yelled.

Luca didn't get a chance to process what was happening before his chest was forcefully hit with another and arms were clasps around him, sending him back a step.

"Luca, you made it!"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" Luca confusingly giggled.

"Papa!" Giulia dropped her bags and leaped into her father's arms which did little impact to his much larger form.

"Hey, I thought my parents said they coming to the station." Luca looked around.

"Yeah. Well. They actually wanted to plan a little something for you." Alberto rubbed the back of his neck feeling guilty for even mentioning the surprise.

The group headed to the town square to find Mr. And Mrs. Paguro setting up a welcoming party with traditional foods from both their worlds. A banner between him and his parents flapped above them, reading "Bentornato, Luca!"

"Oooh, Luca!" Luca's mother hurried over to give him a hug. "I'm so sorry we didn't wait for you at the train. Me and your father were in a rush to get these last-minute preparation finished."

"You know you don't have to throw a welcome party for me. I'm going to be doing this a lot."

"I know Luca, but this was your first school year and we're so happy to see you make a giant leap in the world!"

Luca looked around to see familiar from the last time he was here, but also some new faces managing a section of a table with sea monster foods.

"You recognize them Luca?" his dad asked from behind him. "They're all our neighbours. It took a lot of convincing to get them above the surface, but they've already adapted quite well.

Luca eventually figured out who was who. It was always amusing to him to see the changed form of another sea monster.

Not only did the the party celebrate Luca coming back, but it was also a chance for everyone to experience eachother's cultures. From recipes past down from great, great grandmothers to newer, experimental dishes. There was plenty to influence your taste buds to.

The party lasted until sunset and Luca begged his parents to let him stay over at Giulia and Alberto's house. They gave in despite how much they were eager to learn more about his year. He couldn't wait for all of them to start hanging out again. Plus, Alberto has been talking a lot about how Machiavelli has a family now and Giulia and Luca have been eagerly anticipating to see them.