Chapter XXXV

As the Sky Knights continued to clash with the Empire on board the Vengeance Star Destroyer, Mordecai continued to duel with Jerec on the bridge of the Vengeance. As the two fought, Jerec preyed upon Mordecai's fears and insecurities while Mordecai was fueled by his desire to save Dove. When the two locked blades, Jerec chuckled. 

Jerec: It seems Vres Vendoas has taught you well. But I taught her everything she knows!

Jerec then begins to press the attack on Mordecai, putting him on the defensive. Jerec began to utilize the fluid and precise strikes of Makashi to not only maneuver around Mordecai's attacks, but also to keep Mordecai on the defensive. Mordecai's use of Soresu allowed him to survive Jerec's attacks. 

Jerec: Your dueling skills are formidable, but you cannot hope to stand against me. 

Mordecai: I won't give up!

Mordecai then attempts to press the attack, but Jerec was able to counter him. Jerec then fires a blast of Force Lightning on Mordecai, but Mordecai was able to absorb the Lightning with his Lightsaber. Mordecai then attempts to redirect the Lightning on Jerec, but Jerec deflects the Lightning with his hand. 

Jerec: You disappoint me, Mordecai. Vres Vendoas holds you in such high regard. 

Mordecai: You have no right to speak her name after what you've done!

As the two continued to duel, Mordecai found himself unable to break though Jerec's defenses. Mordecai knew that Dove was here somewhere. 

Mordecai: You won't get away with this!

Jerec: Brave but foolish, young Mordecai. But we both know that you cannot defeat me. 

Mordecai gripped his Lightsaber as Jerec simply smiles. The two clashed blades once more with Jerec simply toying with Mordecai. 

Jerec: I can feel your anger, Mordecai. I gives you focus. The farm girl. Your thoughts drift towards her. 

Mordecai: Let her go, Jerec! She has nothing to do with this! This is between you and me!

In that moment, Jerec was able to gain the upper hand and unleashes a torrent of Force Lightning on Mordecai. Mordecai screams as the Lightning courses through his body. Jerec then grips Mordecai with the Force and begins to get thrown around. As Mordecai was thrown to the ground, Jerec walks over to the barely conscious Mordecai and kneels to him. 

Jerec: You truly are Vres's Padawan. A pity it came to this. My offer still stands, Mordecai. Join me and we will rebuild the Jedi Order. 

Mordecai: You're wasting your breath, Jerec! I'll never join you!

Jerec sighs in disappointment as he presses a button on his wrist device. As he does so, Dove was brought into room by two Purge Troopers. Upon seeing Dove, Mordecai was in a state of shock. 

Mordecai: Dove!

Jerec: You have put me in an unpleasant situation, Mordecai. All you had to do was join me willingly and I would've left the girl alone. But your continued resistance has forced my hand. 

Jerec then grips Dove with Force Choke. As Dove struggles to breathe, Mordecai begins to feel helpless as Jerec smiles. 

Jerec: This one has spirit, Mordecai. I can see why you've grown fond of her. 

Mordecai: Don't....please.....

Jerec: This farmgirl is just like her grandfather. Had she been born with the Force, she would've made a fine Inquisitor. 

As Jerec slowly strangled Dove, Mordecai was gripped with anger. He looked into Dove's eyes and saw fear in them. His mind soon fell to the night he confessed his feelings for her. 

Mordecai(Past): From this day fourth, I, Mordecai Arkous, knight of the Jedi Order pledge my powers to you. I shall protect you with every fiber of my being. By the will of the Force, I will become a guardian to you. On my honor as a Jedi, I will protect you to my last dying breath.

Dove(Past): And I vow to fight by your side forever and always, Mordecai Arkous.

As those words echoed in Mordecai's head, he could see Dove struggling to breathe as she was in the grips of Jerec. His mind then fell to when Wren was killed by Jerec.

Wren(Past): Stay back Dove. I will handle this. Now then High Inquisitor, where were we?

Jerec: You're a funny little old man, are you? Hhm. I'm afraid I don't have time for humor. 

As Jerec impaled Wren with his Lightsaber, Dove ran to the dying Wren. 

Dove(Past): Grandpapa! You're going to be all right!

Wren(Past): Dove.....thank you.......for giving this old man........a reason to fight.......stay strong....

Wren closed his eyes and died in Dove's arms. Back in the present, Jerec continued to taunt Mordecai while tempting him. 

Jerec: She does not need die, Mordecai. All you have to do is submit. Join me and she shall be spared. 

Mordecai found himself conflicted. While he wanted to keep fighting Jerec, he didn't want to endanger Dove's life. Before he could make a decision, explosions rocked the Vengeance. In that moment, Dove grabbed Kira Carsen's broken doubled bladed Lightsaber and attempts to strike Jerec down. Jerec was able to block Dove's attack. He then blasts her with a powerful torrent of Force Lightning. The Lightning blasts Dove against the wall. Seeing Dove harmed before his very eyes enraged Mordecai as he grabbed his Lightsaber and kills the two Purge Troopers. He soon directed his anger on Jerec who simply assumed the opening stance of Makashi. The duel between Mordecai Arkous and Jerec would now intensify on the bridge while the battle continued to rage on the Vengeance Star Destroyer.