Addictions - Charlie and Garcello

Garcello opened the front door. Sitting on the doorstep, he lit a cigarette. He sat and pondered for a moment. Was this really worth the lost sleep? Probably not, but he couldn't care less.

Inside, Charlie was at the kitchen table, jotting down ideas. She couldn't sleep, as she knew that something was bugging her. So she searched the house for the reason. And indeed, she found it. Sitting on the doorstep, pondering his life choices.

"Watcha doin'?"

"Gah- Jeez, you scared the scared the crap outta me!" Garcello jumped with shock.
"Sorry, it's just that you looked a little lonely out here, so I decided to pay you some company." She continued; "Is it okay if I sit down with you?"
"Sure, why not..."

The both of them sat in silence, awkwardly. Charlie wanted to speak, but it was almost as if Garcello read her mind.

"Lemme guess, the smoke's botherin ya?" He piped up, waiting for Charlie's answer.
"No- I mean, kinda, but I don't mean to be intrusive-" Charlie stopped for a moment to consider. In the past, not many had openly accepted her help. Some had outright hated her for it. But she at least could try. After all, Garcello seemed like a nice guy and she couldn't help but worry.
"Have you ever, say, thought about what happened to get you to where you are now?" She asked.
"I mean, yeah, I suppose. Stuff like what I could've changed." He solemnly sighed.
This was Charlie's chance.
"Well, maybe...  There's still a chance for you out there."
Garcello realised where she going with this. As much as he hated to admit it, she was kind of right. Maybe a sleepless night wasn't worth it after all.

"Tell you what, Charlie. I'll see if I can cut down on the smoking a little bit. Get some sleep, ya know?" He put out his cigarette and head inside; "See ya in the morning."

As he rounded the corner, he heard high pitched squeals of excitement along with whispers of "I can turn a life around!"
Entering his room, he looked in the mirror. He felt the side of his neck. There were two little bite marks there. However, he brushed it off and went to bed.