25. Drama

Green turned off his phone, put it back in his bag and moved back towards the bed. Vanessa growled at him until he stopped and looked at her as if he wasn't sure what she was going to do. Vanessa wasn't sure either. She both wanted to tear out his throat and tear off his clothes, but those were animal urges and she tried to rein in the side of her that was all wolf.

"Of course I love her," he said.

"Why are you here with me if you love her?" Vanessa hissed.

"What has that got to do with anything?" Green asked, taking another step towards her.

"Don't come any closer!" Vanessa warned him, her nails lengthening into claws.

"Why are you angry with me?"

"Why am I... I heard every word of that phone call!" Vanessa yelled and Green flinched.

"She didn't mean what she said about you being stupid and ungrateful," he said. "She loves me and she takes it personally that you don't want to come home with me."

"She wants you to bring me home?"

"Absolutely!" Green said, relaxing into a smile. "She was so excited when I'd been to your apartment and came home and told her I've found my mate. That's probably why she was so angry I haven't called. She's dying to meet you, the whole pack are."

"She's... What sort of a twisted pack are you a part of?" Vanessa asked and Green looked as if she'd slapped him. Then his eyes started to glitter with fury.

"If you say one more nasty thing about my pack I swear I'll..." he cut off.

"You'll what? Bite me? Beat me? I'd love to see you try.

"I don't know what's gotten into you," Green said slowly and she could tell that he was fighting to keep his temper in check, "but I have had enough of this."

"Fine! Leave!"

For a moment it looked as if he was going to attack her. Vanessa tensed and prepared to transform. It would be hell to pay later if they wrecked the room, but she'd dealt with those sorts of things before. Then Green took a deep breath and a step back. Another step brought him to his bag. He picked it up and turned to leave.

"Tell your other girlfriend that she can have you all to herself!"

Green froze mid-step.

"My other girlfriend?" he asked.

"The one you love," Vanessa said. "I don't understand what you're playing at. You come after me and tell me we're mates and all along you've been in love with someone else. I don't know what sort of panamorous things you get up to in your pack, but I don't share."

Green turned to look at her and Vanessa was furious to discover that a tear or two might be escaping from the corner of her eyes.

"You think I'm in love with someone else?"

"You just told her, and me, that you love her!" Vanessa screamed.

Green blinked. Then he started to laugh. Vanessa grabbed hold of the nearest item, a bible from the bedside drawer, and threw it at him. He caught it before it him in the face.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Not yet," Vanessa growled, "But you will be if you don't get out of here before the count of three. One..."

"Vanessa, I don't have a girlfriend."

"What is she then? Your fiancée? First wife? Two..."

"She's my mother," Green said.