~18~

Asteria sat alone at her desk in Potions like usual

Asteria sat alone at her desk in Potions like usual. Her head was supported by her hand as she listened to the Professor who was continuously stopping to shush the two Gryffindor boys behind her.

"Miss Parkinson, can you and Mr Black switch seats please?" Slughorn asked. The Hufflepuff glanced behind her to see the Gryffindor boy who let out a huff.

"Don't think that I'm much happier about this." She whispered to James as she saw down on the stool beside him. She was now able to get a clear view of the purple bruise around the boy's eye.

"That looks like it hurts. Who did that?" She asked with a smirk. "Some insufferable twat." James replied which made her kick his leg under his table and him bend down to rub it.

"We'll just be quiet this lesson so hopefully I can go back to my original seat." She told the boy. "Am I really that bad?" He asked with a smirk as he pushed up his glasses. "I don't think your ego could handle it if I answered that question."

-☘︎︎-

Later that day, Asteria headed down to Hagrid's hut by the edge of the surrounding forest. She had been in the forbidden forest multiple times but never alone or at night.

Asteria paced through the small vegetable garden located at the side of the small stone hut. She had been given the task to hunt for garden gnomes who would destroy his garden.

Helping her was a small crup named Olive. A crup was a magical creature that resembled a Jack Russel but had a forked tail. Years before rules had been made by the Ministry that the forked tail would need to spill by a painless charm in case muggles saw the crup.

However, since Hagrid never left the school grounds with a magical creature and they were far away from muggles, he was allowed to keep Olive with his forked tail.

"Did you get one?" Asteria asked the creature which was barking loudly and chasing a small gnome around one of the leftover pumpkins Hagrid had grown for Halloween.

Asteria then bent down and picked up the shouting creature before shooing it into the misty forest around her.

As it was winter, the days were much shorter so the sun was already starting to set. Suddenly, Olive ran over with something in his mouth which made her look over. "That's a stick, not a gnome." She laughed as bent down and took the stick from his mouth before throwing it and watching the creature run to pick it up again.

Asteria chuckled again before sighing. As she was facing a window to the hut, she noticed a figure behind her. She recognised the messy hair and the circular glasses. "Can you explain why you're stalking me, Potter?" She asked but when she turned around she didn't see anyone so she shrugged it off and went back to searching for garden gnomes.

Little did she know that she didn't actually see James and he had hidden behind a pumpkin. He peered around the plant to check she wasn't looking before he scurried back to the castle with a mischievous smirk.

-☘︎︎-

Asteria woke up the next day and headed straight to the Great Hall for breakfast. But her eyebrows furrowed with confusion when she noticed people staring at her however she shrugged it off.

"She has no mates at all. She only hangs out with freaky creatures." She overheard a student whisper as they glared at the Hufflepuff. Even more confused, she walking into the hall to see James snickering when she walked in. "That little cunt." She muttered under her breath as she sat down at the yellow table, staying silent for the whole time she was having breakfast.