One - Sophie

AFTER LEAPING BACK FROM SOLREEF, all Sophie wanted to do was sleep.

Trudging up to her room, which took up the entirety of the expansive third floor of Havenfield, Sophie wished life didn't have to be so complicated. Just when she thought she had something figured out, it came back to haunt her. Burning down the Neverseen's storehouse had changed the game―and Sophie wasn't sure if she was ready to be a leader.

Sophie opened the door and went into her room, Sandor promising to keep watch outside. She flopped onto her massive bed and sighed.

That was when Iggy the imp let out a huge burp. Sophie turned on her back, realizing that Iggy was newly dyed and his cage was sitting on the pillow. She smiled. Had Dex stopped by while she was talking to Mr. Forkle back at Tiergan's house?

Iggy seemed to like his new multicolored look with black stripes. He chewed on his own fluffy fur and snorted at Sophie, who laughed. But then she noticed the crinkled envelope peaking out from underneath the cage―and on it was Sophie's name, scrawled in Keefe's familiar handwriting.

Sophie hooked her thumb under the flap and peeled the envelope open. She sucked in a breath.

To the Mysterious Miss F!

UghI'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have an extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes.

Why had Keefe written her a letter? Why not just hail her on his Imparter, or wait for her to reach out telepathically? Sophie's mind swirled to the worst possible scenarios.

And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe Fails. But I swearthat's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

What was he saying?

I can't tell you more than that without putting you in danger, so just... trust me when I say that the powers my mom game me are super bad. There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. And I CAN'T control themjust like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them.

So... this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to.

Oh no. No.

And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. In fact, it might be better if you do, because I need you to PROMISE that you won't try to find me. My mom will be waiting for you to track me downand since I know how stubborn you are, I want to make sure you understand who you'd be putting in danger.

I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you.

No.

No.

No.

This can't be happening, Sophie thought. Her heart sped up to a million miles per hour.

That's why you have to stay away. Well, there are lots of reasons. So again, please, just... trust me, okay?

And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know.

Please be careful. Please be happy. And PLEASE forget all about me.

It'll be better for everyone that way. You'll see.

Love,

Keefe

A tear dropped to the paper and smudged the ink. Sophie's hands clenched. How could Keefe do this to her? She let out a strangled sob and buried her face between Ella's floppy blue elephant ears.

"He's gone," she said hollowly. How could he run away again? Did Keefe not realize how hard this would be for all of them?

A few minutes later, Grady and Edaline came in to find their adopted daughter staring blankly at the crumpled piece of paper.

Edaline sat on the bed with Sophie and rubbed her back, reading the letter over her shoulder. Sophie heard her gasp quietly when she realized what Keefe had done.

Grady stood near the door, and Sophie thought she saw a look of regret flash through his eyes. But maybe it was just her imagination.

"Dad?" Sophie mumbled. Grady walked closer and then joined his family by the bed.

"You don't deserve this, kiddo. That Boy..." Grady trailed off. "Neither of you deserve this."

They sat in silence for another moment, and then Sophie seemed to get her bearings. 

"Wait... how did he leave Splendor Plains without Elwin or Ro noticing?" she wondered aloud, sitting up straighter.

Then it hit her.

"Oh no... no... he wouldn't― " Sophie said miserably. Had Keefe used his new ability to keep them from following him?

Would he really do that?

"I have to go," Sophie said, and with that, she raced to the Leapmaster, leaving her parents stunned and confused.

"Splendor Plains!" she shouted, and the light whisked her away.

A/N - Hi readers (if there are any)! I'm Ava, this chapter is pretty short but I wanted to see if it would work out. This is my first fanfiction and I appreciate constructive criticism but please don't be too harsh. I don't really have an upload schedule for new chapters, they'll probably come out randomly when I have some free time. Extra support would really help me stay motivated, so feel free to comment, spam, whatever. Thank youuuu

Word Count: 858 (without anything in bold) :)