Three - Keefe

This is what's best for her.

Keefe had to keep repeating that statement in his head, or else he would chicken out and go back. He imagined having to apologize to Grady, untying Ro and facing her wrath, explaining to his friends that it was all just a misunderstanding...

But more than anything else, he thought about Foster. 

How would she react when she found his letter? Would she be sad? Mad? Even a tiny bit relieved? Maybe she wouldn't even miss him.

Keefe pushed the terrifying thought out of his head. At least Sophie would be happy with Fitz, he thought. Fitz would be everything Keefe couldn't be for her.

Plus, he couldn't go back because Sophie had most certainly already seen the letter. And she most certainly hated him now.

Keefe could barely imagine the horrible things his mother would make him do to hurt everyone he loved.

No.

He could never go back.

Not unless he wanted to doom every one of his friends, including Foster.

* * *

Keefe trudged through the shallow puddles of downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. 

He'd glittered into sight in a parking lot between two tall buildings, one with a large mural on the cracking brick. Keefe had spun the crystal on his pathfinder―making sure he had no idea where he would land. The randomly-chosen facet had brought him to this city in Ohio, and Keefe had no particular aversion to it, only caring that it would keep him hidden. 

Walking a few feet out onto the sidewalk lining a narrow street, Keefe took a look at the impressive mural. It featured a red life-size door painted onto the center of the three-story-tall area, with everyday items (like clocks, showerheads, and pencils) circling from it in primary colors, all pasted on a light blue background. 

For some reason, Keefe liked the place immediately. It was just so full of art, sounds, and emotions. 

Emotions...

Keefe could feel everything. With his already-strong empathy, combined with all the creepy powers his mom gave him, he experienced all the joy, all the excitement, all the sadness, anger, regret―no contact required.

It wasn't as overwhelming as touching Sophie's hand though, even with her gloves on. The thought made him feel a little guilty. But Keefe shivered as if he could still feel the emotions crashing against his senses with the force of a million stampeding mastodons. As if he could still hear himself forcing out the word that changed his life for the worse―numb

Keefe jammed his hands into the pocket of the black hoodie he had grabbed from the Shores of Solace right before going to Havenfield. He had borrowed it from Fitz a while ago, and had never returned it. Keefe was glad he hadn't, though, because a tunic and cape would've looked pretty out of place here.

A quick glance at his surroundings told him he was in a place called Over-The-Rhine. This is the only time I'll be thankful for one of the stupid powers Mommy Dearest gave me, Keefe thought. He would've been in some pretty deep trouble―well, more than he already was―if not for his Polyglot ability, allowing him to read all the signs around the bustling neighborhood. 

It was raining lightly. Keefe flipped the hood of his sweatshirt over his head, not wanting his hair to get wet―but the motion was halfhearted, once Keefe remembered that there would be no Foster to impress. 

There were roads going left and right, so on a whim Keefe turned left and followed the sidewalk past the row houses on both sides of the street. After walking for a few minutes he came to another intersection of roads. This time, four paths converged, the closest sign to him reading "W 12TH ST", which he assumed meant "West Twelfth Street". The whole process was foreign to him, but he followed the other pedestrians across the street after the cars took a break and waited for Keefe and the humans to cross. 

Keefe wondered if everybody who lived here always walked everywhere. It seemed like a fun lifestyle, but different, because it would take more time than he was used to to get places.

Suddenly, worries rushed through his head about where he would stay, but he simply shrugged them off. Keefe was never a very logical person anyway. 

Washington Park, the sign in front of him read.

That was where he was now. 

Keefe trailed a group of four into the park, following the sidewalk that diverged from the main road. The group was clearly a family and had parents with two young kids. Keefe glanced at the mother and the young boy's hands intertwined, envying the obvious love that was shared; even the family's carefree bickering was fond. Keefe clenched his hands and thought about his own cold, calculating parents. He never had, and never would have, such an easygoing family life.

The rain had stopped sometime in the past few minutes, so Keefe flipped off his hood, revealing his fantastic hair to the unworthy eyes of Cincinnati.

That was when Keefe realized that he hadn't felt the need to use any commands yet, in his quarter-hour of being in the city. That had to count for something, with so many people around, right?

Maybe he was improving. 

But maybe it was just misplaced hope.

Washington Park was huge, consisting of an expansive open area and a circular shelter in the middle. Groups of humans were gathered at picnic tables and benches along the sidewalk. 

Keefe decided to head for the shelter, but he couldn't see much past that, thanks to all the trees in the way. Most were tall and had red or orange leaves, but some smaller trees had lost all their leaves and stood curving and ominous. One even had blossoms in soft shades of purple and pink, reminding Keefe of Calla's Panakes.

All he could think of was how much he would like to paint the incredible scene.

And how much he would love to take Foster to this place.

Keefe slung his bag off his shoulder and took a seat on one of the numerous benches. He swallowed, taking out the emergency Imparter Grady had made him take and staring at the darkened screen for a moment.

No.

Keefe had to somehow convince himself that he was never going back. He needed to get it in his head that this was for the best.

So he put the Imparter away, stood up, and headed toward the park shelter, hoping with all his broken heart that life would improve.

A/N: eek chapter 3 done! I've been on an inspiration streak lately. And this chapter was SO fun to write (also the longest one yet)! I hope it wasn't too cringy.

Fun fact: the mural Keefe sees when he first gets to Cincinnati is called No Place Like Home and is supposed to be a tribute to everyday items that people take for granted. It's said to convey a sense of home, and I thought it would be cool if that could be the first thing Keefe saw in the Forbidden Cities.

Question: who's perspective do you like better, Sophie's or Keefe's? Idk who's to do for the next chapter.

Thanks for reading! :D

Word Count: 1,111 (lol)
Updated 7/25/21