Day 2 - Childhood Friends/Parenthood

If one were to have talked to him ten years ago, Minato would never have imagined having children - let alone finding love at all. And yet here he is, awake at 3 AM, hearing the wailing of a infant from another room. He let out a long sigh as he turned towards Yukari, somehow sleeping through the noise. He was pretty behind on his sleep recently, no thanks in part to the child, and more than anything just wanted to get his eight hours in. But he wasn't a heartless parent, so, reluctantly, he got out of bed and left the room, leaving the young woman lying beside him to rest as he crept through the dark halls of their home.

When Minato opened the door to the child's room, all was pretty normal. He had no idea why the baby was crying - all he knew is that she was, and that it was his job to fix it. He walked over to the baby's crib and slowly picked her up, holding her in his arms and rocking her a little bit, whispering things along the lines of "I'm here" and "It'll be okay" between some shushes, all in an attempt to calm her down. To his surprise, she calmed down very quickly, and started to fall asleep once more. He calmly smiled, still holding her in case she wakes up again. He could hardly believe this was his kid. He and Yukari had only been married maybe nine and a half months tops, which technically made sense, but it felt like it went by so fast. Constantly with a woman he loves, and now with a little one to take care of... it would be a big responsibility, but he was happy to take it on. Hell, he was just happy in general; happier than he felt he'd been in a decently long time.

"I didn't know you were good with kids, Minato."

Minato turned toward the voice, finding his partner leaning against the doorway with a grin on her lips. He smiled sheepishly. "To be fair, neither did I. I mean, I was friends with a kid in high school, but I think a baby is pretty different - especially if it's our kid."

"I guess it's a different feeling when it's yours." Yukari responded thoughtfully. "But even so, she didn't calm down that quickly when I was calming her last night. I guess she just likes you."

"I think she'll learn to like you. You were always the more pleasant of the two of us."

Yukari shook her head in disagreement, walking over and leaning her head on his shoulder. "I dunno about that. More outgoing, maybe, but I think a baby would prefer a more gentle, sensitive kind of person. Y'know, like you."

"You flatter me, hun." Minato said in a voice as soft as his personality. "... Y'know, come to think of it, we never named her. She's been alive for a week now, I think we should probably give her a name."

"That'd probably be for the best, huh? Have any names in mind?"

"... Kotone?"

"That's your sister's name."

"I know. That's why I suggested it."

Yukari shook her head. "As sweet as that is, it'd probably get confusing. Kotone lives nearby, y'know. Not to mention she writes for Phoenix Ranger Featherman R, so we're still in contact, and she's already the baby's godmother, and-"

"Alright, I see what you mean. ... Minakari?"

"That's just our names mashed together."

"... Yunato?"

"I can see why your sister is the writer in the family."

"Yeah, me too."

Minato wracks his brains for more options, unfortunately coming short. Thankfully for him, Yukari was quicker on the draw. "How about 'Aoi'?" she offered. "I don't think it shares any kanji with our names or anything, and I dunno what it means, but it's short, easy to remember, and cute."

"Not to mention distinct." Minato added. "I like it. I kinda wish I knew what it meant... but it has a nice ring to it."

"Alright, so it's decided then. Aoi Arisato... it's a pretty name. I think she'll like it."

Minato nodded in agreement as he gently set Aoi back down, now fast asleep. He wrapped his arms around Yukari as he began to think about everything. There was a time when Minato did not value his own life - a time he felt that if he were gone, he would not be missed. "What an idiot I was," he thought to himself, "thinking I couldn't be loved."

"... Thanks, Yukari." Minato said, seemingly out of the blue.

"For what?" Yukari asked, a curious look on her face.

"For everything. It's thanks to you and the rest of the gang that I'm still around today. I was probably at rock bottom when I first arrived at Iwatodai, and over the course of that year you all helped rebuild that spirit I forgot I had. So... thanks."

"... Jeez, someone's sentimental tonight, huh?" Yukari teased, nudging him gently for a moment before planting a kiss on his cheek. "You're welcome, Minato. You helped me - and I assume everyone else - a lot too. Even if you are sappy and sentimental, I wouldn't want you any other way."

Minato smiled, a slight blush forming on his cheeks as she kissed him. He was simply enjoying the moment - when suddenly his body felt the insurmountable urge to yawn.

"... You're still tired, huh?" Yukari asked, a similar smile on her face. "Let's get back to bed, then."

Minato nodded a bit and checked on Aoi one last time before turning to leave, Yukari at his side.

"... I love you, Yukari."

"I love you too."