𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐘 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐊

Sakura Kaji's apartment room was at its worst state. Trash, plastics, bottles, clothes, all of them were scattered in her room. She just woke up, the stinking odor of her own garbage lurking down her nose. She was a hopeless person.

She slept on the floor, a white pillow and a matching blanket only covering her body. She didn't have enough money to buy her own basic needs, what more is a bed?

She looked around her room once more, the pouring of heavy rain echoing through her eardrums. 'All of this rubbish,' she thought, 'is taking most of the space.'

She stared at the floor she lay on, her brown eyes losing all emotion and hope. Is there any point of her, a worthless human, being surrounded with the same worthless things? Wouldn't it have been better if she just died?

Then, she remembered one of the newspapers she found on the streets while buying a bottle of water. Written was: A Miserable Renter Died Alone in His Room, Leaving the Poor Landlord in Distress.

"No!" she screamed, sitting up, "I can't do that! I'll cause trouble to my savior!"

She got up and picked up all the things that were sprinkled around her room like a disheveled cake. She started off with the papers that were lying on her dead table. She neatly stacked them together and placed them on one side of the table.

Next, she picked up her blanket and folded it. She then placed it on top of her table, dusting off the dirt that basically made it home. She also grabbed her white pillow and put it on her blanket.

Third, she took out a broom and swept off the candy wrappers, plastic bags, and many more of the trash that lay around, into a single garbage container. When she was about to pick the last bag, she noticed she doesn't have any more food to spare.

She sighed, "I guess, I'll buy more at the convenience store."

She eventually threw it with the other litters when she heard a loud knock banging on her door, a person calling out her name. The voice was very much hearable and familiar, despite the loud drizzling and thundering outside.

"Kaji-san! Kaji-san, are you there? I'm here to deliver mail!" Called the mailman.

Sakura walked towards her front door, not even bothering to change her informal clothing. She yawned, then proceeded to turn the metal knob.

"Yes?"

"Please sign here," the mailman handed out a paper form that was needed to be signed before accepting the item. She then wrote her signature and took the object, surprised that she even got something.

It has been a while since she last received something from anybody. She gawked at it for a long time, asking herself if this was a prank or not.

"Oh? Sakura-chan!" Said an old man. He wore a black polo shirt and a pair of blue pants. He held a transparent umbrella over his hand, twisting and twirling it as if he were having fun. He was a good person.

Sakura flinched. It was another surprise.

"This heavy rainfall sure is getting on your mood here, isn't it? Haha! Well, good thing I have a nice book right here to read at times like this!"

He gave her a novel with the title, "Rain Love." It was obviously a romance novel, in which she wasn't interested, but she welcomed the kind gesture.

"Umm... Mr. Landlord? ━"

"I actually forgot to ask you something," the landlord said, "can you help me with organizing my son's company files again tomorrow? Of course, you can do it at your home! Think of it to pay your daily rent!"

"Umm... thankyou. I'll do my best. I'm sorry... for disturbing and troubling you again..." She said weakly, trying to force a smile on her face. The landlord was too kind for a useless person like her. Compared to him, she was weak and fragile, easy to break with the slightest words.

"Sakura-chan, you keep on saying you're troubling me, but it's actually me who is using this as a way of using you." He said in a sad tone. He has never seen a person who keeps on apologizing for doing nothing. It sounded like a selfish request to ask her again to help with filing, but he knew that if he keeps on making her work (moderately as any adult), she'll see herself as a more capable person.

"Well, then, I'll be leaving now." He waved his hand and closed off the door before departing. The door created a subtle sound, a breaking one to be exact.

It has been eleven years since she first stayed in the same apartment room. She shut herself from the outside world, quietly and peacefully living inside her own little sphere, slowly breaking down like a wilting flower not being watered.

If she didn't meet the landlord the time she fell sick on the road, she'd be good as dead. But wouldn't it had been better if she just demised?

She left high school at the age of sixteen. She didn't want to burden her parents with an inferior child, someone who isn't gifted with any special traits. She looked at the mail she received, and it was from her brother, who is talented when it comes to music.

Each month, he'd send a letter to his sister, wanting to know how she's doing. And every time she looks at the message, she thinks, 'I should write him back since I don't want to worry him.' But she herself can't get to do it. She won't read his messages for some reason. Something about it, made her think she'd sobber and feel hurt.

She hid the letters inside a little chest. It was her most prized possession. She doesn't remember who gave it to her, but she knew inside her heart it was someone she cherished truthfully.

She stood up and wore her outdoor clothing: short pants and a plain shirt. She took her red shoes and tied her hair with a bow. At least now she looked presentable enough. She took her worn-out umbrella and walked to the convenience store.

Her every movement felt like she was standing on an icky puddle, each mud splashing fainter than the last. She felt like an invisible string wrapped itself around her heart. It hasn't given up yet. Every day, as she lived her life alone, she thought that in this deep sea, she'd drown in the darkest pit, seaweeds clanging up her legs. And at rare times, she'd think that she was floating above the ocean. That was how she went with her days.

'Someday,' she thought, 'I'll get out of this world.' But she knew, for as long as the threads knot her down, she'll never be able to disappear into the unknown.

The convenience store was a three-minute walk. It was the farthest she can go from her apartment. The other places were out boundaries that she won't dare enter. It was a whole new dimension for her.

She went inside, looking around at the foods she can purchase. She saw an already-made meal, so she decided to add it to her cart. Next, was a cup of noodles. She bought five in total.

She was contented with the edibles. She was about to bring them to the counter when a cute design jar made her gape with glimmers. A jar of gummy bears. It was the type of candy to make someone happy for a moment.

But wouldn't it be weird for her to eat them with a pile of trash?

She was deciding to whether buy it or not when a person called out her name, but it didn't indicate that it was a good reunion.

A male adult with blonde hair and yellow eyes. An evil smile formed on his lips and mocking eyes glared down at Sakura. She trembled. She needed to run. She needed to escape. Or else that distant past she tried to forget, will replay itself like a horror film.

"Sakura-chan? It has been a long time!"