Chapter 4

You know what? Sans liked Toby.

Granted, he kidnapped him, but the brown haired boy was the only one that tried to make this situation any better. While in the backseat, he tried to entertain Sans, telling some funny stories and exchanging jokes.

"You can't feel any pain?" Sans asked, "At all?"

"Nope!" Toby said, drumming his fingers in beat to the radio. "I-It's just nothing w-w-whenever I get hit!"

"That m-must be pretty useful for your... line of work," Sans said.

"I-it is," Toby said, "It's even w-w-why I was taken in a-a-as a proxy."

"Proxy?" Sans asked.

"T-That's what we're c-c-called," Toby explained.

Proxy, huh? That typically meant workers for someone, so...

If these guys were working for someone and killing for them, no doubt they were terrified of going against him. And by letting a witness go, they'd probably be in hot water with them. That explained why they were so adamant to Sans not blabbing.

"Cool name," Sans said, "But uh, how long until we get to wherever we're going?"

"Awhile, it's out a bit," Tim explained.

"Fantastic," Sans sighed.

"H-hey, it'll be f-fun! You and I c-c-can play lots of games and forget that we're k-kidnapping you from everyone you care about!" Toby paused after he spoke, realizing what he had just said. "O-Oh. Sorry."

~~~~~~

"What do you mean there's no connections?" Undyne asked, slamming her hands onto the counter.

"I would love to investigate this further as much as you do, but I can't continue this investigation without much evidence," She said, "There's no connection between the skeleton and the serial killers."

"Of course there is!" Undyne said, "You just said the receptionist saw Sans with three other men!"

"She couldn't recall what they looked like, so we don't know for sure if it's them." The police officer closed a folder, brushing it to the side. "She even said he made a joke about an... well, an orgy. All we have for evidence is his phone, and that could have just been dropped, since he willingly bought the room. He might just be having a wild night out. I don't think he'd joke about something like that in danger."

"It's Sans, he jokes about everything in all situations!" Undyne said, "You could throw him into a lake and he'd probably make a water pun. You and I both know this was probably a kidnapping and they forced him to buy a room."

"I'm not going to deny that, it's probably true. You guys can file a missing report, but we have to wait at least 72 hours before taking action in the case of adults." The woman sighed, hugging her arms to her chest. "Look, he probably had been used as a hostage driver, but we can't officially do anything, especially with the testimony the receptionist gave. Our station has been told to lay low after a recent bad incident, and since he's a monster... well, there's nothing I can do." She stood up from her desk. "I am sure he wouldn't disappear like this, and he likely was kidnapped. I won't deny that, but if I take on this case I'll get fired, then it'll be swept under the rug and there won't ever be an investigation. For now, the best we can do is wait out the 72 hours and consider him a missing person."

"You're Bosses are really cracking down on this, huh?" Undyne asked.

"Our last incident had several innocent people arrested, and there was a lot of backlash from the press and protests," She said, "We aren't allowed to do squat anymore. But I could turn the case over to you when he's filed as a missing person, if you'd like. The Royal Guard would have much more authority in this case than we ever could. We just don't have a case to turn over yet, so we'll have to wait until he becomes an official missing person. In the meantime, we can keep doing searches in the area if the killers are still nearby."