miyuki kazuya ~ recovery

[spoilers for the anime - i can't remember exactly when this happened so ignore the errors in details.]

[also i just caught up with the manga and the latest chapter is making me so stressed]

Baseball is not known to be a sport filled with injuries, American football and hockey taking that scary title instead. Those who had never played baseball before, or who never knew someone who did, would probably never know the amount of injuries that came out of the non-contact sport.

Previously, Kazuya had never even considered the possibility of him getting injured. He was strong, never skipped out on stretching, never did anything too dangerous and genuinely just thought it could not happen to him.

Baseball wasn't that ideal. Although his injury break was not set to last long, that small time frame was still plenty in his mind.

"Hey hey, is the injured boy still here?" You knock lightly on the door, not waiting for him to answer as you open the door. "What a beautiful day it is. If only someone had not been reckless and idiotic, he could have been practicing with his team!"

Kazuya sits up from his bunkbed and removes his eye mask, a small smile crossing his lips the second you come into the room. "You're still upset about that? It's just one injury, it'll be gone in no time."

He was always like this: stupidly overconfident. Somehow, in this situation, you found comfort in the fact that he hadn't changed and didn't let his injury get him too frustrated.

"Question," Kazuya starts and you nod, telling him to continue, as he grabs his glasses and adjusts them around his face. "Well I've got two. One, why didn't you tell me you were coming? I would have cleaned up or got you a seat or something."

"Because you'd push yourself," you answered immediately and honestly. You didn't need time to think about such a straightforward question. "You hate to admit it but you would. Plus, I only found out I had time an hour or so ago."

You grab his desk chair, which is a navy blue that doesn't really match the rest of the room. You roll it to the side of his bed, taking a seat on it and putting your bag down beside you.

"I was supposed to help out my English teacher with the underclassmen but turns out some of them weren't available." You smile, mumbling something that would not reach the boy's ears. "And I needed to tell you something."

"You're not the top student in our grade for nothing, helping people is somehow your second nature," the brunette comments as he put his book down beside him. "And for my second question.."

He pauses, looking at you for a second too long. "Why are you staring? It's creepy."

"Oh well-" a smirk grows on his face- "I was just wondering why you're wearing my sweater. Here you are, wearing it so casually people might think it was yours."

You quickly look down at your chest, and sure enough, you're wearing the boy's sweater. He had lent it to you because of the rain a few weeks ago, but you had clearly not returned it yet.

"Your face is so red Y/n!" He laughs, a genuine laugh at that. "This makes all of your nagging almost worth it!"

"I'm only nagging you because you went out on the field, knowing you were injured, and potentially made it worsen," you pout.

Before he can continue that conversation, you open your bag and pull out a book.

"Here, it's the baseball book you wanted. Figured you'd be bored a lot of the times and a book is better than staring at a screen all day."

He smiles, looking at your eyes but unable to meet them. Your eyes are glued on the book, and your cheeks are just as red as a few minutes prior. Giving a gift so casually was not so easy.