Chapter 4

"O-oh! Yeah, um, m-my little sister has been trying out makeup recently, and this morning she wanted to try it out on me, as we have no other siblings, and...mom," I had to force that word out of my mouth, "is always busy and doesn't want Jayda to try it out on her. So, I allowed her, and she wanted me to wear it to school, so...I did." I had some trouble coming up with the lie in the beginning, but I eventually eased into it. Good. Maybe that would throw him off my trail.

He raised his eyebrows. "You have a little sister?"

I decided not to lie about this part. "W-well, not blood related. She was...adopted. I just dont like to talk about it much, since when I do she thinks that it means we're not really a family." I giggled nervously and rubbed the back of my neck.

"Oh, I understand. I have an adopted little sister too." He said.

"Thats so cool man! Well, I have to get going, to pick her up from school, so, um, bye!" I said as I rushed out. He had started asking way to many questions for my liking. Curse my stuttering! I made it to the front of the building, but I realized the Bakusquad wasn't here. They probably already left.

That's fine, I wasn't lying about the reason I left Shinsou anyway, I did need to start going." I started jogging to Jayda's school.

About half way there, I got a phone call. I slowed down a bit and checked the name. Oh God.

Mr. Sakai is calling. My foster dad. This couldn't be good...

With trembling fingers I answered the call and brought it to my ear, still walking towards Jayda's school.

"Hello?"

"Dont use that tone of voice with me, boy!" He shouted at me, I winced a bit.

"Sorry. Hello, sir?" I corrected myself.

"Thats better. Now, I just wanted to call to inform you, in case you forgot, considering how unbelievably dumb and dense you are, but the social care worker is coming to my wife and I's home today around 6ish, and we just wanted to let you know in advance, you know what you had to do."

"Yes, sir, I know what I have to do." I answered.

"Good. Remember, keep that brat of a child under control, unlike last time, or there will be consequences." He growled.

I winced again. Oh. Last time. She almost slipped up and told him about what Mr and Mrs Sakai do to us...more like me, but still.

"I-I will, sir. I apologize again for her behavior last time, but I beg, please don't call her a brat, she's only a child."

"YOU DONT TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CANT CALL HER. SHE WILL NEVER BE NOTHING MORE TO ME THAN A BRAT. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?!"

At this point I was holding the phone away from my ear. Once he was done shouting, I brought the phone back. "Y-yes sir. Crystal." I muttered.

"Excellent." He hung up. I hung up as well and put my phone back in my pocket. I made fists with my hands, my nails digging into my hands. I held back tears. How dare he call that sweet, not so innocent child a brat?! She was amazing! She was going through so much for only a 7 year old! A 7 year old shouldn't even have this much trauma! It was horrible. I took slow deep breaths, my fingernails still digging into his hand. Once I calmed down, I started making my way towards Jayda's school again, but at a run.

Once I made it, I saw the kids already outside. I looked around for Jayda. "Jayda?!" I called out. I saw her out of the corner of my as she ran up to me.

"Denki! You were late today." She scolded me. I nervously chuckled as I gave her a smile.

"Sorry 'bout that kiddo, I was dealing with...stuff." I said, as I saw the teachers looking at us out of the corner of my eye. I stood up and looked back to Jayda. "Mind staying for a minute while I talk to your teachers?" I asked.

She nodded. I walked up to her teachers. "So, how was she today?" I asked.

"Oh! She was an angel, as always. She did have some trouble paying attention, but she tried her best." Mrs. Igo said. I nodded my thanks and waved as I took Jayda's hand and started walking home with her.

Once we were out of earshot and sight of the school, I turned to her. "Okay, so, the social worker is coming here today, around 6, so, I'm going to need to be on your best behavior today, okay? If you are, we'll both get meals tonight! You might even get a toy!" I playfully tickled her stomach, making her giggle.

"I'll be on my very best behavior! I promise, Denki!" She smiled. I chuckled to myself.

"Did I hear that right?" I promptly turned my head as my breath hitched. Shinsou.

"Shinsou! W-what do you mean?" I asked, trying to play the part of the dumb blonde.

"Come on, Kaminari! If you're good, you'll both get meals? And she might even get a toy?!" He questioned. I saw a little girl with him. 'Must be his sister.' I thought. I felt a grip on my leg, and looked down to see Jayda gripping it, looking at Shinsou and his sister in fear. I patted her head to help her calm down as I returned my attention to Shinsou. I came up with the perfect lie.

"Yeah, well, our foster parents, um, don't have a lot of money. So, if we're both on our best behavior for the social worker, they spend some money that they save to get us all a good meal! And if we still have some leftover, we get little Jayda here a toy. Isn't that right Jayda?" I asked her as I looked down with plead in my eyes. She looked from me to Shinsou and nodded, gripping my leg tighter.

Shinsou looked from me to her. "Oh, sorry for assuming the worst."

"Nahhh its okay dude! It makes sense, if you were to hear it out of context." I rubbed the back of my neck subconsciously.

"Okay. Well," he looked down at Jayda. "You know, you and Eri would probably get along really well." He said as he motioned to the little girl with him.

Jayda looked up at me, and I gave her permission. She walked up to Eri cautiously. "H-hi."

"H-hello." Okay, gotta admit, this was cute. After a couple minutes, I noticed the time and silently started cussing myself out. We needed to get home. Now.

"O-okay Jayda, its time to go home now, we don't want daddy to be to mad now, right?" I asked. I hope that didn't sound weird to Shinsou, but I didn't care, I honestly didn't know what was wrong or right in a family anymore.

I saw Jayda tense up, gulp, and shake her head no. I held out my hand to her. "Alright then, let's get going." I said a quick goodbye to a confused but worried Shinsou and ran home with Jayda. Shit! They would be home soon, and Jayda didn't even get her homework done.

Authors note

Please check out 'Now You Suck' on my page!