Second Full Moon

Chapter Thirty-Two "Second Full Moon"

It was the next full moon day and Kieran and Jett went for a run together in the morning. They had talked about Tessa and all the possibilities that could be the outcome. Now, it was closing in on nightfall and Kieran was pacing his room. Lyric was watching him from beside the dresser as she changed into looser fitting clothes. Being a Chosen was a big deal, especially since it hadn't been done in over a hundred fucking years, and it was making Kieran have anxious energy. Plus, he wasn't sure if Lyric would change with him this moon. She hadn't changed since the wolfsbane incident and hadn't mentioned what she was going to do tonight. She had been, however, making a big deal about him being the Chosen. She had wanted him to dress nicely for it, saying it was a special event and she wanted Tessa to feel that it was. He had argued, explaining he would just ruin the nice clothes when he changed, and they had eventually compromised on a plain black T-shirt and nice black jeans.

"Lyric, will you run with me this moon?" he asked suddenly, unable to help himself.

"I don't know yet," she sighed. "I'm changing into these just in case she forces her way out again. And I wanted to keep an eye on Tessa."

"That's my job," he sighed. "I'm to watch her and wait for her to transform, if she does, and then I lead her to Jett. Sort of like the Dad giving the bride away at a human wedding." She nodded and walked downstairs with him. They walked together to the gentle hill behind the house; where they had agreed to meet Jett and Tessa. Lyric kissed his cheek, saying she would be in the woods if needed, and went on her way. This was a private affair.

"Tessa," he said.

"Chosen," she replied. She was dressed in a simple flowing sundress and, as with the rest of the Pack, was barefooted.

"Are you prepared for this? Both of you?" he asked.

"Yes," they said in unison.

"Then let us begin," he said and knelt down on the grass. The other two followed suit. He had to make this next part quick; he could feel the moons pull on him beginning. "I will decide when and where to bite you, Tessa. And whatever you do, don't run. My wolf isn't used to humans being in our territory on a full moon." The last word came out strained as the moon rose even higher in the night sky. "And Jett, you go find a spot at the tree line and wait there." He groaned and curled in on himself. "Hurry!" Before Jett could depart the moon hit that magic spot in the sky and Kieran could feel the strong itch of fur starting to sprout from his skin. Bones cracked and reformed under his skin, making him moan in pain and a little pleasure, and in the blink of an eye, he was his wolf form.

The strong scent of fear filled his nose and he looked around for the source. Ah, a human. Tessa. Jett's mate-to-be if things went according to plan. Her eyes were large saucers in her pretty face and her jaw fell open before she snapped it back shut and dropped her head to show submissiveness. Kieran strolled around her, towering over her petite and kneeling form, and gave her a long stare. A human in his territory on the full moon. Ready to be bitten and changed. He growled.

"Kieran?" Tessa whispered, looking at him.

He cocked his head to one side; yes, he was Kieran but now he was wolf. He lifted his head as a familiar scent floated to him: his mate—still in human form—and then looked at the young woman before him. She was to be turned. Was she ready to be turned? Was she strong enough to handle the bite and the gift? Kieran wasn't sure. With a huff, he nudged her head with his snout, and heard her gasp—the fear smell amplifying. She seemed weak. Not ready for the gift and he went to leave.