Chapter 4

The castle grounds had grown quiet as the sun slipped behind the high mountains and families sat down around the dinner table. It was no different for the Langston family, besides the two extra guests that King Chris was not expecting or wanting. They were allowed to join because he did want to upset his wife after the agreements the two of them had to come on Eric's situation.

The private dining room was much smaller than the one usually set up in the grand hall for large parties. There was a warm fireplace behind the head of the table that kept the room toasty as a cool breeze glided in through the windows. Guards and servants stood around on the back walls in a polite manner with the family eating quietly.

King Chris sat at the head of the table and a horrible mood from the sight of an old teacher and daughter. The king was not a very tall man but what he lacked in height was made up in confidence and nothing but solace. Deep, rich, crimson eyes matched the joyless looking face that was also resting. His dark skin matching perfectly with his silk laced robes and freshly cut hair.

Every so often a glare would shoot across the table towards the young woman that he once proudly called his daughter. The few things that stopped him was a sharp kick under the table from Queen Hope. It did not stop him for very long but enough to let her continue delightful conversations without someone pointing out King Chris's bad mood.

Queen Hope was sitting to the left of her handsome husband, as she always did when having a meal with her family. Next to her was Eric and following him was his sister who barley came home for visits.

The other half of the Langston family took the right side of the table. Blaze was the other competitor in coronation for the crown of the Kutor Kingdom. It was usually the two eldest of the King and Queen but Eric had no other siblings. Sitting next to their son was Ethan and Juliet Langston. Royal advisors that helped King Chris make hard decisions and lead their nation to a better future.

At the other end of the table was Professor Gearsmith who was the life of the party tonight and sharing many stories from when Chris was a teenager in training. There were slight chuckles from Eric in every few story that made Queen Hope smile to see him enjoying himself for once.

Dinner continued for another hour or two until desert was being brought out. The last straw was for King Chris when his own brother began asking AJ how here time in the military was going. Especially for the Vreston Kingdom; known for their military might and tactics.

"Everything is go quite well, Uncle," AJ said. "Commander Winter has been an amazing mentor and even believes that I can take her place in the future. Which-."

"You are not planning on taking that position," King Chris said, "are you?"

The table grew silent hearing his stoic voice speak across the room. Eric would not even look up from his plate out of fear by the look on his father.

Queen Hope squeezed Chris's hand with a fake smile in his direction. She looked back towards her daughter with a proud smile. "That is excellent to hear sweetie. I just hope you are planning to visit more with all these plans of yours."

"Of course, Mom," AJ lied.

"I am surprised that she hasn't found a boyfriend yet," Blaze said smug.

There was an elbow from Blaze's father as he tried to diffuse the situation. "That is none of our business but I think AJ is doing find in finding herself a good man."

"Thank you," AJ said.

"But you haven't," King Chris said stoic. "Why have you not found a future husband. You are not getting any younger or prettier."