Chapter One

I had been asleep for a while now, or at least in what passes for sleep while I awaited orders. It had been a long time since they had awoken me, several years, a decade, maybe more. They had their pet, so they didn't need their slave. I was beginning to hope they had forgotten about me, that they had forgotten that I wasn't just a metal statue forced to take and execute their commands.

My hopes were dashed shortly after I heard the commotion outside, I was completely aware as I slept though my eyes were closed, I could hear everything. Gunfire was a familiar sound to me, so when it started up, I recognized it in an instant. Then whoever was in charge now, Strucker maybe, said the command, "Archangel, awaken." I opened my eyes but didn't make another move without a command, I couldn't. "Defend the fortress, hail Hydra." Of course they would remember me when they were under attack, I was probably the only thing that could survive such a firefight, and maybe even win.

"Hail Hydra," I echoed as I took in a big breath of air and unfurled my wings. I stayed in my metallic form, knowing the metal would not allow me to be injured as I leapt into the sky on silent wings. The battle was not going well on Hydra's side, whoever it was who were attacking the fortress had incredible skill and inexplicable abilities. This could be difficult to successfully execute the order, but I had no choice.

Two seemed to be aerial combatants, one wearing shiny red and gold armor, the other wielding lightning. It was to them that I could cause the most damage. The others were regular humans, it seemed, though they had great skill and the one with the shield was inexplicably stronger and faster, they were of little threat without the others. The giant green man I dared not attack, even with my metal form, I wasn't certain I could survive such an encounter.

I dove at the man in armor from above, blocking an energy blast from hitting more Hydra soldiers, I dug my fingers into the back of his suit and pulled at the armor, tearing small gouges into the metal before he managed to shake me off. I could hear his voice as he rocketed away, "I could use some help taking care of this tin can over here." I paused, no one had ever mistaken me for a non-living entity before, perhaps it was my expression?

"You're the only tin can here, Tony." A female voice called from below.

I dove at the armored man again, hearing him curse as he shot at me with some sort of missile. The missile exploded when it made contact with me, sending me flying through the sky before I could right myself. "Language!" I heard a male voice call from below as I steadied myself. Who were these people that they could bicker like this in the middle of a battle? I kinda liked them though if asked I would never admit to it. I probably wouldn't be able to if I tried.

The green beast jumped from the ground and caught me around the middle, attempting to pull my wings from my body, which was painful as hell but didn't work. When he saw that, the beast thrashed me into the ground so hard I couldn't actually feel parts of my body for a few minutes. I was consumed by the pain, knowing that if I was in my flesh form, I would have been beaten to death, but in this one I was still almost completely in tact. The beast hadn't even managed to dent my metal form which wasn't surprising, Hydra had been in possession of me for fifty years or more and hadn't managed it, though with the pain I was struggling to move.

I was able to get to my feet moments after the forcefield around the fortress fell. I knew instantly that I had failed, zinging pain whipped down my spine from the device they used to keep me their puppet. I may not have enjoyed my time with Hydra and I may not have been loyal to them, but knowing that I had failed in a simple directive because these people as a team had bested me didn't sit well inside me. I enjoyed being the best, being the one Hydra had called on when their pet wasn't available to do something they needed to succeed without any chance of failure. But I had failed, and now I had to endure the pain that came with failure and live with the knowledge that I was not the best.

Hydra, to the best of my knowledge, was gone now. This had been the last remaining fortress. I hadn't been loyal to Hydra, but it's all I knew, I had no memories from before Hydra even though I had been around sixteen when I was . . . for lack of a better word, conscripted. I knew they had done something to me to make me forget the past, but they hadn't been able to do it since because of my metallic form. I had been conditioned to follow orders like a good soldier due to the obedience device, never asking questions, always succeeding, I didn't know what to do or how to live without them. Hydra and their orders had been my life, my purpose, I suppose I could try to avenge them, but what would be the point? I hadn't held any true loyalty for them, I just followed the commands I was given.

Directive failed and without any orders to follow, I was nothing more than a hollow soldier. Without knowing what other options presented themselves to me, I allowed my wings to find the most comfortable resting position, put my fist in my palm, closed my eyes and fell into my waking sleep to wait for my next order.